Martin XPB2M-1R Mars 1943- Scratchbuild

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Martin XPB2M-1R Mars 1943- Scratchbuild

Postby neons » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56 am

I have started the new build of the early version of the Martin Mars that had the twin rudder. I have the fuselage framing started. I am basing the model on Ivan Pettigrews plans.
You can contact Ivan by emailing him. Here is his email address:
ivanp@dowco.com

Scale 1/20
Wingspan: 120 Inches
Length: 72 Inches
AUW: 13 pounds. as I estimate.
Wing Area: 1515 sq. in.
Wing Loading: 15.7 oz/sq. ft.
Airfoil: Eppler 197 with NACA with washout built in on outboard wing sections.
Power: Hex DT-750 brushless. MAS 10x7 with opposite rotations Nanotech 4s 5000Mah 14.8v Lipolys

The model will not be true scale as there are modifications on the plans that are not exact. I am going to divert from the plans some to use a mix of Depron foam skin and wood with some carbon.

The Build Log was started in the middle of Feb 2012. I am working on the fuselage which is moving along at a fair pace. You can access the Mars Build Log below.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597636

Last edited by neons on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
neons

Re: Martin XPB2M-1R Mars 1943- Scratchbuild

Postby Cameraman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi Neons,

I must admit that I love the Martin Mars but think it looks way better with the twin rudder set up. OK it may fly better with the larger, single one but looks wise, the twin set up wins!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby neons » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Reggie, Thank you sir
The reason I picked building the Martin Mars was the twin rudders. It just has that robust business look to it. The hull is the same size as the Emily I built listed here in Seawings. I did not want to have 2 similar planes either with standard rudders. I searched many forums and have not found anyone that built this version either. I am going to try to get a few pictures in this thread entry so anyone that does not wish to go to the link does not have to visit there. I think maybe at least a couple months and I will be close to finishing the aircraft.
Cheers,
**Neons** Bob
neons

Postby Cameraman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby BillG » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 am

Should be an exiting project. I really need to get around to flying the Saro A1, where I believe I also used the E197 airfoil, to see how it performs.
BillG

Postby neons » Fri May 04, 2012 5:38 am

I have 2.5 months in the plane and could be nearly done in 2 more weeks. All the building is about done. Check the link above to vist the Build Log.
Here is a picture a week ago.

SLIDESHOW
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z45 ... =slideshow
Bob Pacheco
neons

Postby Cameraman » Sat May 05, 2012 8:54 am

Mornin' Bob,

I've just sat down to a small breakfast of pancakes with rasins, smothered with Maple Syrup, and have been totally absorbed by the quality of your work.

Absolutely fabulous and a real inspiration.

Roll on the next batch of images and, if she flies as good as she looks, then you're in for a treat!

Regards

Reggie
Last edited by Cameraman on Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameraman

Postby seawings » Sat May 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Cameraman wrote:Mornin' Bob,

I've just sat down to a small breakfast of panckaes with rasins, smothered with Maple Syrup, and have been totally absorbed by the quality of your work.

Absolutely fabulous and a real inspiration.

Roll on the next batch of images and, if she flies as good as she looks, then you're in for a treat!

Regards

Reggie

Morning Reggie,

Mine was two eggs on toast with rashers of crispy bacon, and fresh orange juice n' toast with a strong coffee to finish...lovely!

I tell you, I keep seeing all these fabulous flying boat builders, building ever bigger craft and just wonder at the fantastic skill they all have - not just building but getting them to fly as well............now that's awesome!

Where do you guys get all the time? .....and the building room for something THAT big?....and the cost of all the equipment required to make it all happen??

I'm just dumbstruck in pure amazement...
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Cameraman » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Bryan,

you're not wrong matey!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby neons » Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Hello Reggie and Bryan. You guys are great. I just finished my pancake breakfast a few hours ago. I just thought I would stop by the thread and see if there was any interest in my new Martin Mars. I hope to finish her soon. I am still fussing with the blue paint going on. Sand, paint, sand, paint. Look it over and do it again. So the blue is all on. Now I have the same ritual on the bottomsides in the off white color. I have to make up decals soon and get the panel lines all down. This is all time consuming and it seems I could have built another in the time it takes to do the finish work.

I am greatful for your praise in my work. Thank you both and all. This is a second naturebuild. This is all easy stuff for me to build scratchbuilds. I do realize I am gifted and fortunat to build in some categories. I beleive it comes with lots of building and wisdom over the years. I am retired and it allows me to put in 12 hours on the plane if I wish too. I bought the plans from an old timer that is the best in building light and large amphibian aircraft. I am sure you both know whom I am talking about. Ivan Pettigrew plans. I used his plan as a guideline. My plane will be under 15Lbs (8.6Kg.) ready to fly at my latest estimate. Ivans plane was 10lbs (4.5Kg.) and a floater with can motors. I use brushless motors. I had to change the nose and cockpit placement and devise the early version tail to the early XPB2m-1R version pre 1943. This is an obscure aircraft built in low numbers. I have not seen this plane modeled before. There are many later JRM's being built though. With this large wing area it will lift the weight very well.
Cheers,
Bob Pacheco
neons

Next

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models