Capt Vic Hodgkinson

This is the place to seek - or to post information about - Flying Boat Squadron crew personnel, Civilian crew personnel or Ground personnel, from any era. Use it to seek out contacts or to record and describe their (or your) exploits for posterity and any crew photographs you may find to post.

Capt Vic Hodgkinson

Postby Pondskater » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:30 pm

I've had a phone call from a fellow flying boat researcher who tells me that Capt Hodgkinson died peacefully towards the end of November.

One of the great flying boat pilots, he was probably one of very few left who had flown an Empire boat, he flew extensively with the RAAF during the war and with BOAC postwar.

I had the good fortune to meet him a little while ago and share some of the memories of the good days - and the bad - of flying boat operations.

The Poole Flying Boat Celebration tells me he may have been the last of the line of Poole-based flying boat captains.

Sad news. Blue skies my friend.

AllanK

Pic courtesy of Capt Vic Hodgkinson.

Pic courtesy Wg Cdr Derek Martin
Pondskater

Re: Capt Vic Hodgkinson

Postby TASSE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Alas, i knew him. A rather sad loss.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby antipodeanandy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:47 am

Was bombing around the Australian War Memorial website and found these great pics. RIP.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/SUK15176

Plymouth, England. C. 1940-07. Portrait of Flying Officer Vic Hodgkinson, a pilot of No. 10 (Sunderland) Squadron RAAF, based at RAF Station Mount Batten, with RAF Coastal Command.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/SUK15152

Plymouth, England. C. 1940-07. Portrait of Flying Officer Vic Hodgkinson, a pilot and crew member of a Sunderland aircraft of No. 10 Squadron RAAF based at RAF Station Mount Batten, with a carrier pigeon carried as an emergency measure during operational flights.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/SUK15156

Plymouth, England. C. 1940-07. Portrait of Flying Officer Vic Hodgkinson, a crew member of a Sunderland aircraft of No. 10 Squadron RAAF based at RAF Station Mount Batten with the cage for carrier pigeons which are carried on the aircraft as an emergency measure during operational flights.

Apparently there is an account of a prang VH had in a Sunderland at Pembroke Dock on April 28, 1941 in the August 2005 issue of [i]Aeroplane[/] (possibly 2006). Anyone got that issue in their collection?
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Postby TASSE » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:50 pm

I have the issue of Aeroplane with CPT Vic in it. If anyone would like a photo copy then send me your postal/mail address on email or PM.

TASSE.
TASSE

Return to Flying Boat crews - Contacts and Requests