Colonial Skimmer prototype

This is the place to showcase YOUR pride and joy! You will know that 99.9% of us flying boat & seaplane enthusiasts will never get the chance to actually own the 'real thing', so that places you in a very enviable position ! Share with us the photo's and details of YOUR craft so that we can all enjoy it!

Re: Colonial Skimmer prototype

Postby toptiger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:25 am

John, thanks for the recommendation. This is a very interesting site. Lets hope that loud mouthed lawyer from arizona doesn't find it.
GR
Founder, The Plane News and Miniature Aircraft Quarterly
{now on the web http://www.miniatureaircraftcollectors.com }
Former US Army Gunship Platoon Commander, VN 1968-69
Seaplane Pilot, Lake Renegade 270T
3,700 item collection of aviation toys/ models
Central Florida and Southern France
toptiger

Postby TASSE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Who is the lawyer from Arizona ?

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby toptiger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:54 pm

Tasse, you don't want to know, trust me.
I owned a Turbo 270 Lake Renegade for years {my father had a Colonial Skimmer before me} and was active on the Lake Aircraft owners web forum as is John, the builder of the Skimmer One. The Arizona lawyer was another Lake owner who hijacked the forum, I felt, with continual and constant dribble on every subject posted, used repeated word plays and inane joking references. It got so out of hand, I am no longer active on that forum.
Founder, The Plane News and Miniature Aircraft Quarterly
{now on the web http://www.miniatureaircraftcollectors.com }
Former US Army Gunship Platoon Commander, VN 1968-69
Seaplane Pilot, Lake Renegade 270T
3,700 item collection of aviation toys/ models
Central Florida and Southern France
toptiger

Postby TASSE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks toptiger i completely understand. We had a same thing on this forum last year but thankfully he got banned.

Cheers TASSE.
TASSE

Postby skimmerone » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello toptiger - an update on #1. It has been brutally hot and humid here for a couple of months, it seems. I have managed to put about 9 hours on her so far and am still amazed how well she performs. There have been no issues with her at all, no leaks in the engine department and she continues to fly level and straight hands off indicating a minimum of 110 mph...I have yet to fly her on a smooth day except for the maiden voyage. I did try a full throttle, 2650 rpm speed run and it was bouncing around 130. We have been trying to find a decent clear day with no heavy winds to do a photo shoot, but it hasn't happened yet. Today is no different. Very shortly we will bring her into the shop and change the oil and inspect the filter and check her all over. Is everyone happy with my inserting the consecutive serial numbered Skimmer photos under the 1945 to present day folder above?

I am continually amazed at the amount of information on this forum and the talents of its members. John
skimmerone

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Sounds like you're having way too much fun John.
As to the photos - don't be bashful keep 'em coming.
Look what I did with the Widgeon series.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby BillG » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Didn't know you were a NYS laker, and hadn't put together the screen name either. I miss that area, spending summers at a cottage on Canandaigua lake, while growing up. That's something to have the #1 Skimmer. Wasn't number 1, but we had #476 Thistle sailboat, and I still have the numbered sails to show for it. :D I've long wanted to build an rc flying version of the Buccaneer, or other similar Lake sea plane, as they are simply good looking sea planes with clean lines.
BillG

Postby skimmerone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:46 pm

I couldn't resist posting this photo taken by John Werner from Bill Greenwald's Buccaneer. On August 21, 2010 Myron Mitchell in Lake EP N84PF, s/n 1100, Bill in Buccaneer N1114L, s/n 702 and myself and Judy in Colonial C-1 N6595K flew in formation up to Sanford Maine where we put #1 on display for a few hours. All the Colonial Skimmers and Lake Amphibians except #1 were built there in an old woolen mill and trailered out to the airport where they were assembled and painted. The star guest appearances were made by David Thurston, the Skimmer designer, who will be 92 in September, and Jack Tarbox, the chief engineer for Colonial and Lake Aircraft. He joined the company in 1956. Also present were Marc Rodstein, EP N41EP, s/n 1083, head of the Lake Amphibian Flyers Club, and Ken Costa, owner of Lake N2677P, s/n 887. Many local folks who remembered Colonial and Aerofab, Inc. were there for the event. 95K performed flawlessly and fast, being asked several times by Myron to slow down for photo taking.
skimmerone

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Nice shot John,
Takes me back to the group $100 hamburger runs with some of the Seattle area Widgeon owners.
Those were always a blast.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby skimmerone » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Just couldn't resist posting my two favorite shots...someone has to fill this space!
skimmerone

PreviousNext

Return to Flying Boat & Seaplane Owners Log - Show off YOUR flying boat here