Supermarine Sea Otter for X-Plane

This section is specifically for the PC Flight Simmers amongst you to share your latest works - and request information for your next one.

Supermarine Sea Otter for X-Plane

Postby Smellybeard » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 pm

My current project is a Supermarine Sea Otter and I am having some difficulty with it.
Available drawings (from Aviation News) have proven unreliable (or worse) and good photographs are hard to come by. There are some nice photographs on this forum but I'm still stuck for quite a few. Problem areas are:

1. Aileron and flap outlines. Particularly the ailerons on the lower wing.
2. Cabin layout. I have no idea what should be visible in the cabin aft of the pilot's station.
3. Rigging data. I'm using Walrus data as I have not been able to get a tech manual (I do have a set of pilots notes for it).

Here's an early iteration with some temporary wings.

The Aeroclub kit does seem to inherit a lot of mistakes from the Aviation News drawings too.
Smellybeard

Re: Supermarine Sea Otter for X-Plane

Postby seawings » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Smellybeard wrote:My current project is a Supermarine Sea Otter and I am having some difficulty with it.
Available drawings (from Aviation News) have proven unreliable (or worse) and good photographs are hard to come by. There are some nice photographs on this forum but I'm still stuck for quite a few. Problem areas are:

1. Aileron and flap outlines. Particularly the ailerons on the lower wing.
2. Cabin layout. I have no idea what should be visible in the cabin aft of the pilot's station.
3. Rigging data. I'm using Walrus data as I have not been able to get a tech manual (I do have a set of pilots notes for it).

Here's an early iteration with some temporary wings.

The Aeroclub kit does seem to inherit a lot of mistakes from the Aviation News drawings too.

Hi David,

I've just come across a series of Sea Otter pics which I can put up on SEAWINGS for you soon. :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Smellybeard » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I've found a couple of photographs that show some of the details I need.

Look at the trailing edge of the lower wing. The ailerons clearly extend across all of the span from the folding trailing edge to the tip. They are shorter in chord on the upper surface that the folding section.

The second image shows the lower surface. The chord of the flaps, both sets of ailerons and the folding section extends from the rear spar to the trailing edge. The flap hinges are equally spaced. The wheel wells are much further inboard than on the Aviation News (and all other) drawings. The bow also appears to be broader and rounder than the Aeroclub kit's and drawings.

What I need to do next is estimate the correct location of the struts.
Smellybeard

Postby Cameraman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi David,

I have X-Plane 9 and have yet to get round to using it!

I have an Imac and need to buy a suitable set of controls inc yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. D you have any recommendations, that won't break the bank?

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman
Cameraman

Postby TASSE » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Smellybeard.

What you really need to help with your problem is a good exploded view, but i have looked in every thing and cant locate one.

Can anyone help with this ?

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby Smellybeard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 pm

I had been making a fair bit of progress with this then disaster struck. My 14 month old Mac Book Pro died!
The very last thing I did was a backup and the guy in the shop reckons it is the known Nvidia chipset problem. I will, however, be without a useful development machine for at least three weeks.

I altered the aviation news drawings to match my own observations and have proceeded on that basis. I have the wings pretty much finished and the hull modeling done (texture mapping is now on hold). Flight modeling is as accurate as I can hope for without a tech manual.

Since I'm basically confined to research for the next month or so, I'd like to sort out a few liveries. Has anyone got any ideas of the colours of the civilian exampes? I'm also stuck for a camo pattern. One particular aircraft I have to try to depict is JM743 while at HMS Jackdaw with 778NAS between 16/11/43 and March '44. It was the third production Sea Otter and had been with the A&AEE from september '43. Anything anyone knows about this aircraft would be appreciated. I'm also interested in the Dutch and Danish Navies' Sea Udders - has anyone seen a photograph of them?

Cameraman wrote:I have an Imac and need to buy a suitable set of controls inc yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals. D you have any recommendations, that won't break the bank?

Not particularly. I have a set but since I use a laptop I find setting up to be a bit of a drag and rarely use them unless crosswinds are a problem. I cant remember what they are off the top of my head. Most of my x-planing is actually development.
Smellybeard

Postby TASSE » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Too much flap when in flight.

Cheers TASSE.
TASSE

Postby Smellybeard » Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Progress.
So, after much whining Apple agreed to fix my MacBook Pro. By the time that I got it back, I had forgotten how to do even the most basic 3d modeling. I'm beginning to make progress again. In the mean time, my partner on this project (Brendan/clavel9 on x-plane.org) has been riveting and painting away. We have managed to get some of the references we needed.
Smellybeard

Postby Cameraman » Wed May 19, 2010 7:41 am

Fabulous work.

I must buy myself a set of controls for my Imac, when I have some spare dosh!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Return to Flight Sims of Flying Boats