Survivors update

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this iconic WWII USN PBY flying boat: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Survivors update

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Following the Dutch PBY-5A PH-PBY's successful westbound Atlantic crossing to new owners last month, Canso A N9767 today set off from France for its new owners in Oregon. It was sighted over RAF Manston, Kent, UK this morning and a while later over Inverness, Scotland. Not sure where it is over-nighting. That brings Europe's airworthy fleet to two - Plane Sailing's well-known Duxford-based Canso A G-PBYA (currently on display duties in Poland) and Tatoi, Athens-based Canso A N315KM which is as good as airworthy but has not flown for some years. It is currently for sale too.

For recent Catalina news and an almost up-to-date Survivors list (does not reflect the two movements mentioned above yet) go to http://www.catalina.org.uk and click on the 'News' and 'Survivors' tabs.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Survivors update

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for the update David.
I just heard about N9767 today.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:04 am

So how many airworthy Catalinas are there in the world today?

I know we've got ZK-PBY in New Zealand and I understand HARS have an airworthy Cat in Australia, but I'm a bit hazy about what else there is in the world still actually flying.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby AlexNortonesq » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm

The Canadian Warbird Heritage Museum in Hamilton Ontario flies Canso C-FPQL (RCAF serial 11084) regularly now, and you can book a flight on it through the Museum (https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/colle ... craftId=11)
AlexNortonesq

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Kiwithrottlejockey wrote:So how many airworthy Catalinas are there in the world today?

I know we've got ZK-PBY in New Zealand and I understand HARS have an airworthy Cat in Australia, but I'm a bit hazy about what else there is in the world still actually flying.

If you go to this link https://www.catalina.org.uk/consolidate ... vors-list/, you will find my survivors listing as a download. I believe it is as accurate as you can get and under the 'Status' heading you will get a pretty good idea of what is airworthy although that definition can be subjective of course. The most active, for what it's worth, is our Duxford, UK-based G-PBYA which is currently well into her 2019 display season. That of course is at least in part due to the number of shows in Europe - obviously ZK-PBY in NZ and VH-PBZ in Australia have fewer opportunities to fly.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Return to Consolidated Catalina Reference Archive