Tales of The Gold Monkey

Flying Boats featured in a few T.V. series, particularly in the 1950's and '60's. Here is the place to find out all about them and share any information and screen shots you might have. Don't forget to tell us where we can find them today.

Tales of The Gold Monkey

Postby dogsbody » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:37 am

There was this TV series, from the early 80's. It only lasted one season. I remember that it wasn't too bad, but hey, it had a Grumman Goose.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083488/

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Re: Tales of The Gold Monkey

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 am

Tales of the Gold Monkey used N327 cn 1051 as "Cutter's Goose", but it wasn't the first Goose chosen.
N2845D cn B-112 was originally purchased for the role.
Unfortunately it was lost off Cape Yakataga, Alaska on Feb. 20, 1982 while in route from Alaska to California after losing power in both engines.
Both crew were rescued and survived, but the airplane was never seen again.

(Image and additional info taken from my friend Guy Denton's excellent site on the Gooses & Widgeons used on Kodiak Island http://www.wdaguy.com/index.html )
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby N63350JR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:17 am

Just received my DVD set of this series, watching the pilot (LOL) now!

This show, and NC327 have special meaning to me. Cutter's Goose was a member of the family for awhile in the 80's.
The kid in pic 3 and 4 is me.

N63350JR

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:12 am

For your amusement Jr.

On the set circa 1982-83.

The first time I met your Dad & Uncle, Boeing Field, May 1985.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby N63350JR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:19 am

Too cool!

Saving them all to the scrapbook!

~JR
N63350JR

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 am

That's why I posted them. :lol:

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby EmpireSunset » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Love them all - I was such a fan of the show - but that 'on the set' pic is by far the best. It just looks like something from an excellent adventure movie.
EmpireSunset

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

That photo was actually taken by a buddy of mine when he was on vacation in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm

That "on the set" photo from TOGM is the source of one of the greatest "current" mysteries in the Grumman Goose "community" - what is the ID of the Goose airframe that was used as a static set piece on the Universal Studios backlot? Whichever Goose that was, it is the one now on display at the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Long Island, NY.

They have it painted up in a fictional Pan American Airways blue and silver scheme with the registration number NC16913 under the wing (that r/n corresponds to Grumman c/n 1004) but there is no real reason to assume that it is actually that particular Goose.

CAM also used to advertise that they have N327 (c/n 1051) but THAT particular Goose was the one used for the actual flying sequences in TOGM and it is now owned by Sam Damico of Pittsford, NY. He bought it as salvage/scrap from the insurance company after it crashed and burned in Penn Yan, NY in Feb. 2005. He plans to rebuild it and he has since then also acquired salvaged airframe components from ex-Antilles Air Boats N1048V (c/n B-46) and ex-Pen Air N741 (c/n B-97) to use for parts. (IMHO he'd be better off rebuilding N741 - there's more there to start with!)

My personal theory about the Universal Studios backlot Goose (now at CAM) is that it was salvaged from one of the many Gooses wrecked over the years on the Catalina Island run between Long Beach and Avalon. If it too was bought as salvage from an insurance company, since Universal Studios never had any intention of making it airworthy again, it was never re-registered and the trail of ownership was broken. CAM probably didn't even buy it as an "airplane" but rather as a studio prop or souvenir - i.e. "junk"
Rajay

Return to Flying Boats on the 'Small Screen' - the stars of the T.V. shows and series.