Posted pictures.

Read this locked posting to find out the easiest way to up-load photo's with your text postings.

Posted pictures.

Postby seamaster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Regarding the numerous pictures I had posted on this great site in the past under "Louis", the site I used went under I think and that's a bummer for all, including me. I have to explain I did all the uploads on government time in my previous job (might as well be honest), my workload at the time was light due to a micro-managing boss who wanted to do everything. Since then I have been employed in industry and my workload reflects that, I no longer have a lot of time even over lunch break and the fact that our Internet link is company-controlled limits what I can do.

What I can do is respond to any request for the documents you need as I have done in some instances. It might take a while for the answer to come but they will.

When I retire for good I will upload as much of my archive to some repository that will be available to all. Meanwhile you can also ask Bryan as he has received a fair bit of the stuff already.

Louis AKA Seamaster.

Cheesr all.
seamaster

Re: Posted pictures.

Postby dogsbody » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 am

Message received and understood.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi Louis,

Well said; your post hits the spot perfectly and should serve as a (gentle) reminder to all that this forum exists upon the excellent work that you and an ever increasing number of other members do to ensure that we, the recipients, receive the very best in flying boat knowledge. For that, in the past as now, I bow in a North-Westerly direction......(I think!)

Put simply, the whole thing runs on 'spare time', mine, yours and the myriad others that serve to give of their collective time for no other return than the satisfaction of having helped someone else out, or shared a piece of information to us all.

BUT, it is also timely to remind everyone that 'you see it now, love it, but fail to save it to your hard drive, then when you come back, it's gone' - usually forever. Time marches on and it's a fair bet, from my (very) bitter experience, that one can login one day and find that another server has gone down forever, as is the case here with Photo Reflex. All the info is lost to us, there is absolutely nothing I can do to bring it back.

So, if you want to save the text or the pictures for your own use then do it when you see it, don't leave it, as you never know what is happening on that server where it is held and linked to here.

It also serves to show how difficult it can be to actually get the option to post in the first place, which makes it all the more valuable when someone such as Louis actually does post for us all to see. Thanks for your sterling efforts. Much appreciated.

See it - Like it - Save it - Enjoy it at your leisure........ ;)
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Adventureguy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 am

Like most, I am grateful for the opportunity to see the many interesting photos linked by this forum.

However, I must admit that I do not understand the mechanics or economics of hosting a forum.

Specific to this context, I wonder why there is no space for photos or even avatars on some forums, including this one. One can buy a hard drive that holds a million good photos and fits into a shirt pocket for a few hours' wages. So, why is it necessary to rely on other sites?
Adventureguy

Postby BillG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07 pm

First, good to see the site back up. I haven't been able to log on for some time.

Adventureguy wrote:Like most, I am grateful for the opportunity to see the many interesting photos linked by this forum.

However, I must admit that I do not understand the mechanics or economics of hosting a forum.

Specific to this context, I wonder why there is no space for photos or even avatars on some forums, including this one. One can buy a hard drive that holds a million good photos and fits into a shirt pocket for a few hours' wages. So, why is it necessary to rely on other sites?
I think the logistics may have more to do with the complications, than the space. I agree that my tiny Seagate backup drive would hold countless 100k photos. On thing that would be good, is to determine what photo site/s is/are the best for storing and linking photos. I've seen so many deleted photos from Photobucket and other large photo hosting sites. Sadly some of the photo sites don't seem to live up to their claims, from reports that I have read.
BillG

Postby seawings » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Avatars are allowed on this forum - if anyone hasn't got one, that's only because they haven't set it up in their personal profile area, yet. I have one, and many other members do, and you will see it alongside this, and every post.

As to the forum image hosters, Photobucket is the one that I personally use, and every image that I have ever uploaded is still there! Flikr is another one that is highly recommended. As to the reason why they are used, the answer is quite simple; to host an image on the web takes space. Space = money. Money = costs. If this forum was to host the actual images featured within it's postings, it would become far, far more 'space-heavy' than just the simple postings are. That would increase the costs for the hosting company way, way beyond what it is now. It's the requirement to host images that make this forum so special for it's subject; other forums that I visit daily host their own as there are not that many per posting; here, it can be very different.

This really is the fundamental issue that I have with hosting image-heavy websites and forums; due to the massive image content, we are penalised for the content we hold by being charged large sums of money for the space we use. Tell me about that one, I have been battling the rising costs for the past 10 years!

I store all my image archive on two hard drives, for nothing. BUT, when I want to share those images all around this planet, acessable and available 24/7/365 that's another issue! Then, there is a thing called 'bandwidth' - that is what is exceeded when 99 different people in 17 different countries and time-zones download the same image at the same time and THAT's where extra costs kick-in (apparently). I have had this explained to me by my hosters, the telecom company and a load of others but I confess that I still don't fully understand it. What I do understand is that the more successfull a site becomes, the more popular it is, the more it costs to keep it going.

In the States it costs thousands of dollars to have a site functioning similar to SEAWINGS; I know that as a matter of record and certain WebMasters talk to me each month; we compare notes and we here in the UK get off lightly compared to others around the world.

Will it ever get any better? Don't know. Will it get any worse, Yup, that's a given but I don't know where the 'cross-over' point will be, yet. But, as long as the external, third-party image hosts like Photobucket and Flikr keep going, the better we are all off for it. Trust me.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Adventureguy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks, Bryan, for the explanation.
Adventureguy

Postby longshot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Bryan....In the thread I've made about CLARE at La Guardia, New York the right hand side of the photobucket hosted images are being clipped...the latest shots were definitely uploaded to Photobucket at 800 pixels wide but still clipped, so is there an optimum size to upload for SEAWINGS?
Mick
longshot

Return to How To Up-Load Photographs To This Forum.