READ THIS: 23/08/17- Photo's Displayed on this Forum

Read this locked posting to find out the easiest way to up-load photo's with your text postings.

READ THIS: 23/08/17- Photo's Displayed on this Forum

Postby seawings » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am

Hi All,

To advise all Members - and particularly the newer arrivals from whom I have received many emails recently - as one views the various postings in this Forum it won't be long before you notice swathes of images 'missing', having been replaced with an icon stating 'Please up-date your account to a third-party hosting' or similar.

This is nothing to do with this Forum; it is simply the result of image host 'PhotoBucket' deciding to change the way they host images by deciding to eliminate all image hosting for free - which is what we all have done for years - and now charge upwards of $400.00USD per account, something that none of us can afford. This action, as you can imagine, has had a disastrous effect across ALL internet forums where members have used the PhotoBucket facility - just go look around some of the web forums to see the results.

The solution is to use another photo image host such as Flickr or Imgur and there are plenty of others. This sounds a 'fix' BUT where one has multiple images spread across several forums, or simply just a shed-load featured on one forum, the amount of work to get these re-uploaded to the host and then re-displayed within a forum posting again is absolutely ENORMOUS. Indeed, it may well be that images in postings across all these forums will never be replaced, for a whole series of reasons.

I myself haven't yet found the time to crawl through all my postings and replace the 'missing' images and probably never will. One, you have to remember where all your postings are and Two find the exact image that you posted which has been affected, then up-load it to your new image host, copy the embed codex and paste it into said posting. That's just one image, there are another - insert amount here - to be done.

What PhotoBucket have done should NEVER have been done; in the modern day history of image hosting they have in my humble opinion decided to commit 'commercial suicide' by effectively deleting everybodys hosted images and thoroughly spoiling the quality of forums around the world which have taken years to build up. In any other world, they would/should be prosecuted for this action. Ho hum....

So, I'm afraid you will have to put up with it and hope that the individual posters can replace the missing images over time.

But, please remember there is nothing I can do about it - except for my own missing images that is......
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: READ THIS: 23/08/17- Photo's Displayed on this Forum

Postby dogsbody » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

So far, I have gone through my " View Your Posts " and replaced all the pictures on 3 of the 12 pages, using Flickr. It's a slow process and that's just on this forum. I have 72 pages of posts on Britmodeller and uncounted pictures on another 8 to 10 forums.
All my PB images still work as I have an ad-free/no pop-up paid account that should still work until the end of this year.

PHOTOBUCKET CAN SUCK IT!

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:15 pm

My point exactly....

It's going to be real hard work getting them replaced and I personally don't think they will ever be all recoverable - some of the posters are no longer with us so the images are lost and gone forever. That's what I was thinking when I said it was a criminal act by Photobucket.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:29 am

dogsbody wrote:So far, I have gone through my " View Your Posts " and replaced all the pictures on 3 of the 12 pages, using Flickr. It's a slow process and that's just on this forum. I have 72 pages of posts on Britmodeller and uncounted pictures on another 8 to 10 forums.
All my PB images still work as I have an ad-free/no pop-up paid account that should still work until the end of this year.

PHOTOBUCKET CAN SUCK IT!

Chris

Actually, you can purchase one additional year (at your current price) from PhotoBucket up until the end of 2018 and still have third-party hosting for your images.

While not a permanent solution, it does buy you a bit more time to update things.

I'm going keep my paid PhotoBucket account for one additional year (I have to kick it over at the beginning of January when my current subscription is due for renewal), but that is only to give me that additional time to move things.

However, there is no guarantee that the same situation won't reoccur in the future.

I suspect that what has happened with PhotoBucket is that it got too popular and started losing money as a result because of all the huge amount of free third-party hosting sucking up vast amounts of bandwidth, combined with a drop-off of advertising revenue (the advertising issue is an internet-wide problem). Personally, I feel they went about correcting that situation in the wrong way, but they have made their decision and they will have to live with everybody abandoning them, including paid subscribers. Of course, if everybody buggers off to, say, Flickr, there is no guarantee that the same situation won't occur there at some time in the future. There is no such thing as a free lunch and somebody has to pay for all of that bandwidth being used.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby dogsbody » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm

I have already downloaded all my PB images back onto my 'puter, so I don't need PB at all anymore.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Help. I am aware of the Photobucket problem of course and I want to progressively re-load all my images that have disappeared from this forum, in particular the ones relating to the Catalina African Safari thread.

Can someone tell me in layman's terms how to do that and how to load future images please. What are members using now if they are not using PB?

Thanks.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:01 pm

David, Firefox has an add on that works around the Peebucket bloc, for now anyway.
But you have to be using Firefox to get it.
I think the link to it may be here somewhere (dogsbody ?)
Good Luck.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby DavidLegg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 pm

I did try that but I'm not sure it worked with my Mac. Are there alternative hosters as I'd quite like to boycott PB.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby dogsbody » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm

What I have done and continue to do, is that I have saved all of my PB pictures back onto my computer.

As I go through My Postings, I open up the posting and right-click on an image. In the window that then opens, I click on Properties, at the bottom of the window. Another window opens and at the top, you will see the name/title of that image. Using this title, I go back to the recently downloaded PB images and find the proper one. Sometimes I have to move this back into My Pictures. After that, I go to my Flickr account and download the image I want there. I then open that image in Flickr and click in the small, right-facing arrow icon. another window opens with the image code in a blue highlighted bar. Above the bar are posting options. On this forum, use BBCode. Under the code bar, there are size options. Anything in the 800X600 size will fit well here.

Next, I come back here and click on the EDIT button of the posting I want to change. When it opens, I delete the PB code for that image and insert the Flickr code. Click SAVE and Bob's yer uncle!

Now, I realize that what I have just typed here my not make much sense and could be difficult to follow, but It's what works for me. It took many attempts and a few days to figure out. It is a slow process but it does work. I only have a couple dozen more pages of postings to get through now. It'll keep me busy during the upcoming winter.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby DavidLegg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks Chris - I'll give it a go when I have some spare time.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Return to How To Up-Load Photographs To This Forum.