Colonial Skimmer and Lake La-4

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of these two amphibians: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Colonial Skimmer and Lake La-4

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:56 am

Ah, welcome back John.
I'd wondered what had happened to you, now we know.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby skimmerone » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

C-2 Skimmer #126, N266B has been in Michigan since about 1965. When I first bought #12 I lived in Connecticut and so did N266B, but she was sold before I got to see her. She has just recently been taken out of cold storage where she languished for over 20 years. The nephew of the owner has taken her under his wing and she is in the process of being restored to flight. I am in contact with him and her about once a week as he rebuilds various systems. The photo shows her getting ready.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

C-2 #127, N269B, built 1958 has had about 3 owners during her lifetime and lived the first 25 years of her life within an hours flight of Sanford, Maine where she was built. Presently she is languishing, apart in Florida. This photo was from about 1983 and taken at Kissimmee Florida at the then Lake Amphibian headquarters.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

C-2 Skimmer N270B, #128 also spent many of its first years within an hour of Sanford. I got to fly her some when my local airport did annuals on her. I heard a story somewhere that she was sold new to a dealer out west who was ferrying her home and the exhaust came loose and went through the prop putting the engine out of balance. The pylon fell over sideways. The pilot managed to get her on the ground safely. The factory came and got it and sent the next serial number to replace it. It is still reasonably alive, after sitting for years in Seattle, and it was just sold to someone in South Dakota, who doesn't answer my letters. I hate to lose contact after all these years, so I will keep trying.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:41 pm

C-2 Skimmer #129 N271B was sold new to the Seattle dealer. It then went to Idaho and a couple of owners and then back to Washington where the enterprising owner converted it to 200HP and took all the paint off and polished the aluminum along with removing any excess and unneeded weight. I am told it is a "screamer". I would love to fly it sometime. I don't know who took this photo, but it is at the seaplane base at Oshkosh. It has been based in Minnesota for about 10 years. The 180HP pylon was sold to the owner of #17, N257B, who is thinking about converting the 150HP C-1 to 180HP.

C-2 Skimmer #130 N272B met its demise early on. It was sold first to Texas Game and Fish Commission. It was destroyed in South Dakota before 1964. Landed a bit short of the runway due to engine failure.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 pm

C-2 Skimmer #131, N273B is still flying in Minnesota. She is one that hasn't had too many owners and yet moved all over the country over the years. Even within 30 miles of me so I got to teach the owner how to fly her. He then moved up to a Lake around 1983.

C-2 Skimmer #132 N274B had few owners, California and Alaska by 1964 and was destroyed in a accident in 1965. Therefore, no photo.
skimmerone

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks John, good stuff.
My Colonial - Lake folder grows again.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby skimmerone » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:09 pm

C-2 Skimmer #133 VH-ARB has been in Australia since new and only 3 owners, the middle one owning her for well over 30 years...just by chance we found we have mutual friends. One of my old hydraulic accumulators that came out of a refurbished Lake is flying in ARB. I have spoken at length to the new owner and he is the correct person to own her, respecting what she is. May she fly on forever. Her new number is VH-VRB.
Last edited by skimmerone on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:56 pm

C-2 Skimmer #134, CF-USX, ex N276B is happily living in Ontario owned by a Kayak maker. She went to Canada in 1966 and bounced around several owners until finding this owner in 1999, who has repainted her and tended to lots of little and big items let go over the years. I think she is happy.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:30 pm

C-2 Skimmer #135, N277B is also alive and well. I have known her from 1964. Her owner back then used her to fly from the Philadelphia area to their summer place on Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire where he moored her at anchor for the weekend. She then flitted around the country until 1994 when her new owner and I flew her back to New England and got him trained. She remained in New England until 2005 and then went to Michigan where she is now. I also trained this owner. One owner moved up from a C-1 Skimmer, another two moved on to a Lake. A trustworthy old girl, she is. She is pictured here on the shore of the Hudson River during a training session. Life is tough.
Last edited by skimmerone on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skimmerone

PreviousNext

Return to Colonial Skimmer and Lake LA-4 Reference Archive