Colonial Skimmer and Lake La-4

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of these two amphibians: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Colonial Skimmer and Lake La-4

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 pm

I must regress back to C-1 #18, C-GHCY, ex CF-CKT, ex N258B. The lost is found...it obviously has something to do with my old memory. I received an e-mail on January 2005 from Steinar Saevdal of Norway. He has a seaplane website www.seabee.info/seabee.htm and he forwarded me a letter from someone who had owned, not only C-1 #18, but C-2, #136 (the next C-2 posting), and a 180 and 200 Lake. Unfortunately his brother was lost along with #18 in 1980. This finally found and completed my file for #18, and added an owner to the file for #136. Modern technology is amazing.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:40 pm

C-2 Skimmer, #136, C-GHUH, ex N280B. Photo from 1967 during a trip I made around the country (flying a Lake, of course). She was owned by a fig orchard proprietor and went to Canada in 1989 and is still owned by that person. Up until this aircraft, the N numbers were consecutive with serial numbers, but the factory must of screwed up and got things out of line...or something.

C-2 Skimmer #137, HP-283, exTG-CUZ, went new to Guatemala and shortly thereafter registered in Panama and within the year crashed into the sea due to a low altitude spin. No photographs.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:22 pm

C-2 Skimmer #138, N278B has bounced all over the country, Seattle, New York, Texas and seemed like she always needed work. She, or her remains are now owned by C-1 #25s owner. This photo was taken around 1965 at Haddam Connecticut...being worked on.
skimmerone

Postby skimmerone » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:36 pm

C-2 Skimmer #139, C-FNJH, ex N279B. Ah yes, one of my favorites. It all started when I started writing owners in 1964, just about the time Milt Scovill bought 79B. His hilarious letters prompted me to fly my Lake around the country and visit him in Seattle. Around 1970 I sold a used LA-4 to a local friend. He then moved to Seattle taking his Lake with him. Naturally he became friends with Milt. When Milt passed away in the early 1990s, guess who bought his Skimmer? Guess who moved back east, bringing 79B with him? I hate to admit it, but I flew 79B as much, if not more than her owner. It near to broke my heart when she was sold to Canada in the early 2000s, however, at this point I had #1 to restore. She is still flying today with her fourth owner since 1959...and her 3rd paint job...always hangared...always TLC...and a pat on the nose after flight.
skimmerone

Postby dogsbody » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:49 pm

On Tuesday morning, I was visiting the Alberta Aviation Museum, in Edmonton. Around the back side of the hanger, on the other side of the fence, I spied this Lake La-4.

http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/ca/FCMM
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby skimmerone » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:31 pm

C-2 Skimmer #140, N281B went to Long Island, NY before 1964 and would drop in on our Lake when we lived in Connecticut occasionally. When the owner wanted to sell, I sold it for him and checked out the new owner. When he wanted to sell several years later, I sold it for him...to the past owner of C-1 number 23. Several years later it was sold again...to the past owner of C-1 #18. Then to Seattle and back to Illinois where it is now...had some damage and it should be flying pretty soon. Always a good strong Skimmer. I am still in touch with the #18 owner. He misses water flying and his Skimmers and enjoys the progress of #1.
skimmerone

Postby mattrix10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Have just found nice 3 view drawing (although cannot tell how accurate it is) of the Colonial Skimmer.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Galle ... kimmer.gif
mattrix10

Postby skimmerone » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:00 pm

It is quite accurate. It is my serial number one from 1948 vintage. Shortly after this drawing the 115HP engine was upgraded to a 145HP and finally in 1955 to a 150HP engine. The original rudder was very short as shown and was increased to the complete length of the vertical fin. Later on another foot was added to the top of the fin, also. That it why I can removed the tip today as it is screwed onto the old top. The floats were lengthened to 29 inches instead of the 20 shown, and wing fillets were added to the root of the wing. I was scrounging through the old factory in Maine, just last week (it is to be demolished) and managed to find many engineering orders for the Colonial C-1, including many for just my airplane before there were others. AND the purchase orders and handbook for the Aeromatic propeller shown. In most cases this paperwork was just dumped on the floor or on a table.
skimmerone

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 pm

What a find !
I'd love to stumble across a treasure trove like that for the Widgeon someday.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby mattrix10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Thank you skimmerone for the exhaustive information. It appears that the picture from my last post is the higher resolution version of Xavier's (AKA modelxv), posted at the beginning of this thread.
mattrix10

PreviousNext

Return to Colonial Skimmer and Lake LA-4 Reference Archive