Saro TG263 Insanity, committed and beyond fantasy

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Re: Saro TG263 Insanity, committed and beyond fantasy

Postby HO229 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Brother Bill,
If you have interest in tinkering with flying wings give the simple foam gliders a go… they work very nicely.
TEST COUPON
Cut a top view of the wing out of corrugated cardboard with elivons integrated (one piece or taped together)
Tape 5-6 large flat washers to the top of the prototype near the front of the coupon (centerline), take it out to the yard and toss it gently with a flat trajectory… Add or remove washers as required to get it to glide efficiently. Mark the CG on the cardboard test coupon and off you go!

If you so desire you can mount your electronics on the cardboard and fly it but I typically opt not to do this.

FLYING WING
http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Raider-Foam-G ... B0006O1Y8M

These can be found at Wally-world in the spring (cheap).

Open bag; throw away the fuselage or cut it up and shape it to make a fuselage pod out of it to put the battery and RX, speed control in.
Saw the wing root to some angle of your choosing using your Japanese pull saw (of course…, everyone has one :mrgreen: ), poly glue them together (not to great of an angle or you will not be able to mount a pusher prop/motor on it) not too small or it will not track as well (this angle is not critical). Apply a few strips of packing tape to the bottom (spar).
Use balsa or sheet foam and cut out some Elivons; packing tape them on. Apply a few degrees of static reflex to the elivons (we will trim the amount of reflex during test flights).
Cut the wing for servos (closer to the root is better).
Add your electronics and perform a few glider test (no motor power applied) optimize the reflex during these tests
Off you go then… add power and enjoy

An inexpensive fanfold delta wing design; I hast have 10 of these wonderful planes. Great flier

(link) Scroll to bottom, my friend Harry and I flying while in Maine (the FWD finger holes are the CG).
If you strike an imaginary line across the back of the wing (connecting the two wings tips) the CG will be approximately in the same place as this delta. Add winglets size does not matter much (do not hard mount them, you want them to fall off (press fit, or tape them on)) sweep them back at some angle (the vortex has a lag)

Make sure you do all the goopy math to calculate CG prior to doing the down and dirty washer testing (LOL) :mrgreen:

http://www.rcflyer.org/photos09-3.html
Dave
Proverbs 27:17
HO229

Postby BillG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 am

HO229 wrote:[color=#0040FF]Brother Bill,
If you have interest in tinkering with flying wings give the simple foam gliders a go… they work very nicely.

Thanks for the info. My problem is that I want to go straight to building something scale and difficult, like a Gotha P60. :D
I should learn to experiment more, with things such as flying wings.

The Saro is now complete as it will get. As they say, you never really finish a scale model, you just stop working on it.

Small fillets were added to the wing LE to fuse joint, and the wing seams are now covered. Someday it will warm up, and the water will thaw.
BillG

Postby HO229 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:25 am

Bill,
The Squirt looks Great, look forward to seeing some video… is that the test pilot for the ¼ scale version?
Not well trained up with British markings, what does the “P” mean?

My favorite librarian came through again, from the book “Luftwaffe Secret Projects ground attack and special projects”

Focke-Wulf 0310239-01 0r Focke-Wulf 0310239-10 would be excellent choices for a flying wing!

Not a flying wing but interesting subjects: the Heinkel 'Lerche’ or the Henschel Hs P 87
Fascinating and bold designs!
Book contains original German 3 views drawings of every design

Cheers,
Dave
Proverbs 27:17
HO229

Postby seawings » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 pm

HO229 wrote:Bill,
The Squirt looks Great, look forward to seeing some video… is that the test pilot for the ¼ scale version?

My favorite librarian came through again, from the book “Luftwaffe Secret Projects ground attack and special projects”

Focke-Wulf 0310239-01 0r Focke-Wulf 0310239-10 would be excellent choices for a flying wing!

Not a flying wing but interesting subjects: the Heinkel 'Lerche’ or the Henschel Hs P 87

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, the 'P' means Prototype.

Cheers,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby BillG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 am

seawings wrote:
HO229 wrote:Bill,

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, the 'P' means Prototype.

Cheers,

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that either Bryan.
BTW, I was obsessed for a while with building Luft '46 subjects, and still have interest in building some. My 2 favorite jets are scratch built Luft '46 designs, which are the FW225 and FW250. The last photo is an AR 16/43-19 is bashed from a Cox Airlifter, and flies trainer like. Very stable.
BillG

Previous

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models