Balsa construction

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Balsa construction

Postby Cameraman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi Guys n Gals,

I'm really tempted to just try and have a go at the construction of a scale balsa aircraft.

When I was about 10 years old, I built a basic glider but this time I'm thinking of something scale and with a bit of grace to it.

I reckon the superb work I've been viewing on the RC thread may have something to do with it.

So I'm not looking for anything large, just something to try out as a learning process. I'm not even thinking of flying it (well perhaps free flight in the future), so what would you guys suggest?

As everyone knows, I'm most partial to the Beaver and the Piper Cub/Super Cub.

Any do's and don'ts?

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Re: Balsa construction

Postby BillG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:42 am

There's no shortage of plans for Cubs and Beavers. Also, being square bodied, they are easier to build straight, which makes them great first scratch build projects. Are you thinking of building from a plan, 3-view, or kit?
BillG

Postby Cameraman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Bill,

for my first, I reckon a kit would be the way to go.

Any recommendations?

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby BillG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 pm

There are many kits of Cubs and Beavers, especially Cubs. I'd start searching forums and see what you like. There's always some personal considerations also. Is there a particular size in mind? I tend to like somewhat robust designs, that are not necessarily the lightest, along with being more of a keel-former type builder. Kits of planes with flat panel fuses are often built using stringer fabricated panels, built flat on the plan. The kit selection depends somewhat on what style of building you prefer. I also prefer lesser modeled planes, which makes the Beaver more attractive.

With a bit of finesse added to the cowl area for a more scale-like appearance, this is a nice Beaver rc electric design:
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc01.htm

The Unionville is more scale, but more costly:
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/resu ... vendor=UVH

As for Cubs, between Great Planes, Sig, and Carl Goldberg, there is a wide selection of sizes to chose from.
I know that Great Planes has Cub kits with specific float sets made for them.
BillG

Postby seawings » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 pm

BillG wrote:There are many kits of Cubs and Beavers, especially Cubs. I'd start searching forums and see what you like. There's always some personal considerations also. Is there a particular size in mind? I tend to like somewhat robust designs, that are not necessarily the lightest, along with being more of a keel-former type builder. Kits of planes with flat panel fuses are often built using stringer fabricated panels, built flat on the plan. The kit selection depends somewhat on what style of building you prefer. I also prefer lesser modeled planes, which makes the Beaver more attractive.

With a bit of finesse added to the cowl area for a more scale-like appearance, this is a nice Beaver rc electric design:
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc01.htm

The Unionville is more scale, but more costly:
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/resu ... vendor=UVH

As for Cubs, between Great Planes, Sig, and Carl Goldberg, there is a wide selection of sizes to chose from.
I know that Great Planes has Cub kits with specific float sets made for them.

Hi Bill, Bryan here:

One of the new members of this forum is Lt-Col Art Bornstein and you could be just the chap to help him...!

He and I were emailing each other as he is specifically looking for an ARTF R/C Catalina or CL-215 (as we have over here) or something that he can fly that lands on water and looks realistic, but does not need loads of building; almost an up-pack, charge batteries and put the radio gear in and see if its raining outside, sort of thing.

His correspondence went along the lines of:

There are many questions, but I will first take your advice and work the internet.

It's a coincidence that my RC flight instructor is also named Bryan. He's promised to get me flying in the near future. I wish I was as confident about that as he is.

You mentioned a CL-215 and a Catalina. If they are big (30 + wingspan) I am interested. The bigger the better. That's so they fly slower and can be seen easier. What kind of costs are involved and what additional equipment would I need. I have a DX-5 transmitter, 11.1 v 3c batteries and a bunch of parts from other airplanes. (Obviously those "Other" airplanes didn't survive when trees and lamp posts shot out of the ground right in front of them)

Bill, as he lives in the States, can you let him have any details regarding ARTF kits of flying boats that you know are available 'over there'...?

Post them in the RC section if you would be so kind.

Many thanks,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Kuni » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Bryan,

I am not Bill, but maybe my reply fits the roll:

we have an onlineshop here in Germany, which is specialized in waterplan/flying boat models (as well as others):
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61316787.s ... Wasserflug
Most models have a glass-fibre-hull and foam core/balsa sheeted wing panels. One would have to cout-free the ailerons, install the gear (for low prices there are no small fittings in there) and finish the plane. There are several amphibians: Canadair, Catalina, Grumman Widgeon.

hope it is of any help,
Rene
Kuni

Postby BillG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:39 am

The CL215 which Kuni showed may be the same one that Nitroplanes had. They are out of stock, likely forever, but that means that it can likely be found elsewhere, only for a bit more money. I've heard good reports of it.
There are not many PBYs, but the Aeronaut is a quality, well detailed model. The lower end Guanli PBY is simple foam, but with a brushless power system, it can be good low dollar fun, and a good starting experience. Speaking of PBYs, I was actually just thinking today of ordering a low cost brushless power system, so that I may convert and finally fly my Guillows PBY. At the time of the build, a bl power system would have been costly, but I've been having second thoughts about the brushed system currently in the plane.

BillG

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models