new here and some pictures

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

new here and some pictures

Postby Kuni » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:17 am

Hi, I am Rene from Dresden, Germany.
My main hobby is rc-waterplane-model-flying. I own some wheeled models (a 1:5 scale Albatros D-V, Boeing Peashooter), but mainly fly from water. I have several waterplanes/flying boats: a Dornier DO-18 with 2m span, a Macchi M.33 in 1:6,8 scale, had a Bernard HV-220 in 1:6, a Savoia S.65 in 1:7, and am currently building a S.65 in 1:6 and have a Savoia S.21 in the right-before-cutting status.

okay, here are some pictures:

Regards,
Rene
Kuni

Re: new here and some pictures

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi Rene, nice to see some pics of great models and that scenery is dynamic. It makes me think that you might get a lot of turbulence on a windy day.

Roy (TASSE).
TASSE

Postby Kuni » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Roy,

normally I happen to fly at a normal sized lake with trees all around. But these pictures were taken during some events I flew; at Grundlsee/Austria (S.65) which is a huge mountain lake. Normally dead calm, but when wind comes it will get very gusty.
The Bernard picturea are from Plau am See, also a huge one in the north of germany, were it is windy always. The DO-18-pictures were taken at our own event in Pirna. The river Elbe were the event takes place lies in a valley. The event is at the first July-weekend, and the very hot summer sun makes a strong thermal wind over the day.
But of course these pictures are the rather dramatical one's. But it may give a better view to the models than such with dead calm water and a lazy floating model...

Regards,
Rene
Kuni

Postby TASSE » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:10 pm

A similar thing happens here in Ireland. Its either very windy or dead calm with a glassy surface.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby BillG » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Beautiful lake in Austria Kuni! You just don't get a feel for the size of those mountains in pictures, although I see snow on what appears to be not far up the mountain, while you are wearing a t-shirt. We had a cottage some years ago on one of the NY state finger lakes, where the mountains rise 300+m from the lake, and run perpendicular to the prevailing winds. Makes for some really gusty sailing weather, which I actually enjoyed.

Nice DO-18. I linked the picture at RCG, to show a builder the wing incidence you are using, as he can't get his Wal to rise from water.

Love the M33 also. I have a scratch build M33 which flies well, and I certainly could have another, as it's such a pretty plane.
Last edited by BillG on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillG

Postby Kuni » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi,

I was at a waterplane-meeting (radio-controlled) to watch a guy flying a model from my parts: a bigger version of the Savoia S.65 seen above. His model spans 1,85m (he enlarged thw wings a little bit, wondering about the wing-loading). Weight is 4kg. The model performed very well; take-off and landing seemed to be very easy.
Here are some pictures:
An almost similar model (apart from the wings, which will be scale) is currently under way in my building room.

Regards,
Rene
Kuni

Postby TASSE » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Hi Rene. Nice pics and a nice lake. Can you give us a list of your model parts please.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby Kuni » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello Roy,

as far as I know (it is not my model) he has installed a Kontronik Kora 2510 at front and a Scorpion 3026 aft. The aft motor has a long shaft to the propellor. Both props are Ramoser variable-pitch-props; the front one a 12", the rear a 10,4". I don't know about the battery cell count, but he uses two different.
The model has no water rudder, and dosn't need one.
Speed range is about 100 km/h, but he couldn't fly full-out because of vibrations at the rear shaft.

Regards,
Rene
Kuni

Postby TASSE » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Thanks Rene, this info is of great help.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby Kuni » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi Roy,

if it is of some help: my S.65 will fly from a single 6S5000mah Lipo pack, with two Kontronik Kora 25XX special wound for the task. As I build my motors by myself, it is easy for me to rewind a motor.
My intention is to drive the model with the larger front prop up to 140 km/h, and the rear prop drives from there on. The front prop unloads and draws less current; the smaller high pitch rear prop is stalled at low speeds and should grip at around 100 km/h. The test-flights will show if this is true...
If I can't find a suitable setup inflight, I have been told I can use the wind-tunnel at our University.

Regards,
Rene
Kuni

Next

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models