Curtiss America

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Re: Curtiss America

Postby BillG » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 am

My plane is NOT :shock: purple, as it appears due to lighting problems, but red as seen in previous pics. If
I'm brave enough to get it out soon, there is still a bit of season left in the NE US. I may have to give it some time though, to forget about all the work put into it.

Spec wise, this plane appears on paper to be the most flyable plane I've ever built:
Span: 53"
AUW: 32oz (2lbs) w/3s-1800 lipo
Wing area: 3.71 sq-ft
Wing loading: 8.6oz/sq-ft
Power: 105W/lb (this could be slightly increased with better props than wood zingers)

The plane was completed two evenings ago (okay, really one very late night or early morning) in 2-1/2 months, which is a stand out record for me. Maybe a relaxing GWS Slow Stick build will be in order now.

I'll need to take better finished pics, certainly before flying, as these are horrible:

I may end up using the plastic props, as the prop extensions required a bit of tuning/adjusting effort, to get these wooden props running smoothly. Less mass is always better.

Completely different aileron linkage setup from what I've used before, is centering/working well.

BillG

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:04 am

Amazing Bill.
Beautifully done, if it flies as nice as it looks you'll have a winner on your hands.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Krzychu74 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 am

Hello!
Looks really excellent!

Best regards.
Krzychu74
Krzychu74

Postby TASSE » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah its all too much to be true. Hearty congrats.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby BillG » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the comments. I guess it's time to search for the next subject. For a while I was hooked on the EDF thing, but that one tends to burn out over time. I can envision seaplane modeling being a lasting hobby. As always, there's too many subjects to choose from, although a nice laser cut kit may be in order, after all the recent scratch builds. I've been looking at the Keith Sparks designed Dare hobby Macchi M5 for several years now. Just a thought:
http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/airp ... ric-04.htm

Roy's Sea Lion is another plane that has caught my interest, along with several others with somewhat similar hull shapes, such as the Savoia S62:
BillG

Previous

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models