Supermarine Sea Lion III

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Supermarine Sea Lion III

Postby RobinStobbs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:05 pm

Good day.

I'm a newbie here though by no means a newbie to model making in general.
I have an ambition to make a r/c model of the Sea Lion III - not because I think it has any outstanding aeronautical qualities (though it might have) but because I think it has such beautiful lines. Also, having made a Seabee in the past, I'm rather hooked on pusher props!

Does anyone know if detailed plans are available, or (says he hopefully) a kit. I'd be looking at something with a wingspan of around a metre (three feet in the old days!).

Regards,
Robin
RobinStobbs

Re: Supermarine Sea Lion III

Postby BillG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 am

Sounds like a difficult plane to find plans for. I've wanted to build one also, but only using a 3-view as I haven't located any plans, which is part of why I never got started on it. I imagine you found the drawing posted on this site, but if not here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59
Love to see your Seabee. One of these days I need to attempt putting mine in the air. It was quite a project, using 3-views.
BillG

Postby RobinStobbs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:02 am

G'day BillG,

Many thanks for the heads-up and repost of the Sea Lion drawings. I had not seen them but no doubt would have eventually as I browse through postings to the Forum. This gives me hope that somewhere, somebody has larger size drawings complete with fuselage/hull sections.

Your Seabee looks great. Will you be fitting an ic engine or one of the newfangled brushless electrics? I made my model as a result of a close encounter many years ago (VERY many, I think around 1952) when I was an appie at what was then Nairobi West Aerodrome. An American couple flew in on a stop-over on a round the world trip. Unfortunately Nairobi's altitude (56000ft) prevented them from taking off again so we were involved in taking the wings off so it could be railed to Mombasa! I no longer have my model - it was sort of 'in-the-way' during a major relocation and house move so I sold it along with many of my other glider and boat models :( :(

I have a couple of not really great pics at:
https://sites.google.com/site/stobbsfam ... odels-pics

Regards,
Robin
RobinStobbs

Postby schneiderman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Robin,

See my reply in the Seaplane section. Yes, I do have full hull section drawings from the original Supermarine blueprints.

Cheers
schneiderman

Postby Cameraman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:46 pm

RobinStobbs wrote:G'day BillG,

Many thanks for the heads-up and repost of the Sea Lion drawings. I had not seen them but no doubt would have eventually as I browse through postings to the Forum. This gives me hope that somewhere, somebody has larger size drawings complete with fuselage/hull sections.

Your Seabee looks great. Will you be fitting an ic engine or one of the newfangled brushless electrics? I made my model as a result of a close encounter many years ago (VERY many, I think around 1952) when I was an appie at what was then Nairobi West Aerodrome. An American couple flew in on a stop-over on a round the world trip. Unfortunately Nairobi's altitude (56000ft) prevented them from taking off again so we were involved in taking the wings off so it could be railed to Mombasa! I no longer have my model - it was sort of 'in-the-way' during a major relocation and house move so I sold it along with many of my other glider and boat models :( :(

I have a couple of not really great pics at:
https://sites.google.com/site/stobbsfam ... odels-pics

Regards,
Robin

56,000ft, by 'eck that's high.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby RobinStobbs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Oops! Indeed that would be kinda high - of course my fingers should have typed 5600ft ;-)
RobinStobbs

Postby BillG » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks Robin. I saw your Seabee model and it looks beautiful also. A lot of effort to make a scale rendition of the model, as you would know firsthand. The Seabee is electric outrunner powered with functional retracts, and actually ready to fly, or at least I hope. I have a bit of reservations with the power level of the motor at around 300W, but it should hopefully be flyable. I finally did get around to making the missing grille, so I can finally call the model "complete".

Interesting that 5600ft put the full scale out of range, for takeoff. Watching videos of the full scale of my model take off at Keuka lake at a mere 600ft, they need a long run to takeoff. They sure weren't overpowered.
BillG

Postby RobinStobbs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:22 pm

schneiderman wrote:Hi Robin,

See my reply in the Seaplane section. Yes, I do have full hull section drawings from the original Supermarine blueprints.

Cheers

Hi Schneiderman.
Very many thanks for the heads-up. It's taken me a while to catch up with most of the postings to this great website.
May I purchase a copy of your drawings and do you also have drawings of the rest of the aircraft (plans of wings and airfoil sections, tailplanes, fin etc, struts and rigging)?
Although I am very hooked on making a r/c model of this aircraft I may, in the end, settle for the Walrus for which there seem to be any number of drawings available.

Regards,
Robin
RobinStobbs

Postby RobinStobbs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 pm

BillG wrote:Thanks Robin. I saw your Seabee model and it looks beautiful also. A lot of effort to make a scale rendition of the model,
<snip>
Interesting that 5600ft put the full scale out of range, for takeoff. Watching videos of the full scale of my model take off at Keuka lake at a mere 600ft, they need a long run to takeoff. They sure weren't overpowered.

Indeed and that HUGE frontal area didn't help matters either. I found the same problem with the model. A .45 engine was recommended but in the end I had to install a .60! But very nice "ugly ducklings" the were (are!).
R
RobinStobbs

Postby schneiderman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi Robin,

Very few original Supermarine blueprints of the Sea Lion III have survived, the aircraft was a rush conversion anyway so I guess that new drawing was kept to a minimum. The condition of what few remain is far from good. That's the bad news.
The good news is that the hull profile drawing is not too bad and includes a full set of longitudinal and transvere sections. Ditto the wingtip floats. The GA 3-view is poor; a hybrid of Sea Lion II and III with much erasing and redrawing. However this is adequate to obtain the wing shape and is augmented by more detailed drawings of the wing spars. Finally there are some nice sketches of the tail, floats and nacelle by Leonard Bridgman from Aeroplane magazine. All in all sufficient to enable an accurate model to be built.
If you send me a Message including your e-mail address I will forward the hull details and other bits to you now, the rest will be in my book - due to be published in November

Cheers
schneiderman

Next

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models