Dornier Gs

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Dornier Gs

Postby BillG » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 am

This plane is just too paramount to go on unmodeled, considering that it is the father of the Wals. I've been debating this build for a good while, and decided to finally take the plunge. To keep the build relatively simple, the span will be 30". After a bit of reworking to the drawings I've located, the fuse frame is now completed, as well as a glass molded canopy. A build thread is at Wattflyer, showing progress up to date so far:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthr ... post872610

Interestingly there is a stamp which shows the colors of the plane:
Looking at a stamp of the GsII also at the site, the orange-brown color is likely correct. B/W photos of the hull indicate that the dark blue does not continue along the sides of the rear hull, as shown in the stamp, but is orange-brown:
http://15.pro.tok2.com/~fwkf8336/aircra ... raftd6.htm
BillG

Re: Dornier Gs

Postby BillG » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Made some progress installing the rudder and elevator servos/linkage in the fuse.

Photo below shows thin ply rudder bellcrank mount. The relatively wide rear fuse has worked out well for this arrangement. Rudder pushrods will be mostly concealed in the lower stab, and exit near the rudder control horns.

The sketch in the photo below shows the upper stab strut tubes (2) which I believe house the elevator cable sets (2) for the full scale plane, as well as this model. Pull-pull cables will be used for elevator control, using control line string.

Rudder and elevator servos shown below. The elevator servo has cables connected to cotter pins, which provide cable tensioning adjustment in the E-Z links.
BillG

Postby BillG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:25 am

Started the process of cutting 36 wing ribs. Reduce the count, and the wing won't look close to correct, as the full scale has about twice as many ribs. The near contest grade wood won't add a horrible amount, as they will easily come out of the 14gm sheet that they are being cut from. The tail feather are also complete, with a recessed socket hingeline on the elevator.
BillG

Postby BillG » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:55 pm

The construction method shown below works well for externally braced wings and builds up quickly. Gotta love constant chord wings also, as the formers are made from one template, and have only a few variations. Balsa added to the bottom of formers provides wing strut attachment surfaces.

Cut out the window openings and cocpit opening in the canopy. The sponsons are test fitted using plug-in tubing, which ensures proper alignment at final assembly as well as a strong attachment.

Wiring will be ran through the inner wing mounting strut tubes, and into the motor tower. Shown below are 2 aileron servo leads pulled through a single strut to keep the other 3 forward most inner struts available for ESC power and control leads. The separate aileron servo leads will keep the door open to using dual aileron settings, if a programmable radio is used.
BillG

Postby BillG » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:41 am

Still have the wing to cover, and small details/final assembly remaining.

The canopy is held down with rear locating pins and a front rare earth magnet. It will either have foam added in the roof, an attchment string, or both, to keep it from sinking if it comes off.

Rear fuse seat opening added and sealed. Wing center strut holes also located and drilled. Lower tailplane with dual rudder linkage also installed.

Test ran the motors with an old 2-cell, which was falling of at 50W, but still felt ample to fly the plane. I'm sure a livelier battery would perform better, but the main purpose was to simply test the motors and check prop balance. Holding the tower in hand while running, I couldn't detect any torque effects with the counter rotating props. Of course it doesn't take much torque to tip the plane on the water, but the cut down prop may actually be a pretty good match for the stock GWS 4.5" front prop. There's always GWS 5" counter rotating props if necessary, which may also provide more power if needed, as the 4.5" props don't appear to be overloading the motors on 2 cells. I hope to not have to service the motor tower gear, but the front rad cover and dummy engine are removable, in the event that servicing should be needed.
BillG

Postby BillG » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:23 am

Well it's finally finished, although I may paint the "Ad Astra" marking on the nose. Now I need to get out there and fly my little Beaver float plane, along with this one. Specs look promising, and I'm amazed it's not heavier, given all the metal, dual stabilizers, dual motor tower, and other parts in the build. Quality lightweight wood really makes up for the difference. One thing I am limited to is battery size, as much heavier will likely set the CG too far forward, unless I were to fab a lighter canopy. The CG with 1.7oz battery is around 26-27%. As of now however, 800mah should be reasonable for the plane, given an assumed 5A cruising load.

Specs:
span: 30.25"
AUW: 12.4 (with 2s-800 lipo weighing 1.7oz)
wing area: 178sq-in (1.24sq-ft)
wing load 10oz/sq-ft

Instrument panel in cocpit can be seen, as well as the small windshield now installed.

Fake pull-pull ailerons and balancers for scale appearance. The bottom linkage has an adjustable pushrod.

Adjustable e-z link aileron pushrods on bottom side. Look at all those struts!
BillG

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models