Short Sarafand at an RC event in Bury, Lancashire

This is the place to discuss and ultimately show-off all aspects of constructing and actually flying your radio-control flying boat models. Pictures of construction, materials used, finishing and action shots of them flying, are very welcome.

Short Sarafand at an RC event in Bury, Lancashire

Postby Cameraman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Guys n Gals,

I paid my first ever visit to a small but very friendly RC event in Bury, Lancashire today. The BMMFC are running a scale flying model event all this weekend, in memorial to their long term member and chairman John Benham, who'd sadly passed away recently.

It appears that John had been building an 80 inch wing span Short Sarafand and one of the other members has taken on the task of it's completion, so the least I could do was to post a couple of images here.

Cameraman

Re: Short Sarafand at an RC event in Bury, Lancashire

Postby jondoh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:55 am

I was very interested to see the photos of the Sarafand model,since it has not been a plane that got much attention in its time. I was fortunate to obtain C.H.Barnes book on Short Bros at a museum when I visited the UK about 1995, and when I saw the story on the Sarafand I pursued more on the plane. Finally I decided it was a seaplane I had to make amodel of, and in the years leading up to 1999 it got built and flown. Using a blown up print of the 3 view in the book I drew up a model plan of a model about 80" wingspan. It first flew in 1999 at my Club Rise Off Water site at Bringelly a village about 50km soth west of Sydney. The scond flight was at the Albury / Wadonga Club Float Fly same year when it won my only plane prize for Pilots Choice after being ably flown by my test pilot Les Donovan.

I had thought my model of the Sarafand was the only one, but I think this subject is worthy of more. To that end I would like to provide photos and videos of my model to encourage the member of the Bury club that has won the uncompleted John Bland model to see its proper outcome finished, on display, and flying. If the cameraman BillG, or any one else, can be of help please do so. My email is jondoh@optusnet.com.au and address is

John Doherty,
47 Rosedale Rd.,
Gordon, NSW.
Australia. 2072.
jondoh

Postby jondoh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:11 am

I should have read my email to BillG more carefully. I apologise for notgetting John Benham's name correct.
jondoh

Postby Cameraman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:50 am

Hi John,

you have mail!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Return to Radio-Control Flying Boat Models