Colonial Skimmer prototype

This is the place to showcase YOUR pride and joy! You will know that 99.9% of us flying boat & seaplane enthusiasts will never get the chance to actually own the 'real thing', so that places you in a very enviable position ! Share with us the photo's and details of YOUR craft so that we can all enjoy it!

Re: Colonial Skimmer prototype

Postby BillG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Well I don't have a Skimmer, but that may change after finding two beautiful sets of plans for the Colonial Skimmer. Couldn't ask for a better looking, more practical and flyable subject. I know it's not full scale, but still a Skimmer:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=243
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=812
BillG

Postby Rajay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:I doubt if it was ever locally owned.
Up until the 1980s there were a lot of seaplane operators in So. Louisiana, mostly oilfield related.
Everytime someone came up with a new idea about water flying they trotted it out down there to see if it would sell.
I suspect that's why that particular Skimmer was there.
I've seen float equiped helocopters, a Cessna Skymaster on floats (I wish I had a picture of THAT one), most of the Widgeon conversions and more single engine float plane ideas than I can remember.

If I can get away with directly linking it, do you mean this one, Bill? You must - and I must have sent this to you separately already since in this case it is already on your Photobucket account! I think that I originally found it on the Backcountry Pilots site.

Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks Rajay, I have the original slide that that image was taken from.
John Staber sent it to me a few years ago after I mentioned it in that post.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Previous

Return to Flying Boat & Seaplane Owners Log - Show off YOUR flying boat here