Pixel art profiles

This section is specifically for the budding profile artists amongst you to share your latest works - and show the rest of us how it's done!

Pixel art profiles

Postby WhyMe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:36 am

Greetings!
I'm new here on this forum and for my first post I'd like to share a few seaplane profiles that I've drawn. They are pixel art, i.e. made with limited colors and without "smoothing" techniques (that's why they don't look so good when re-sized from their original resolution). The scale is about 22 pixels per 1 meter; it's so called "FD scale", a semi-official branch of the ShipBucket project aimed at depicting ground vehicles and aircraft.

There are more of these in my online album: http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/WhyMe-PB/FD/
WhyMe

Re: Pixel art profiles

Postby seawings » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 am

Hello WhyMe,

Firstly, a great big welcome to my Flying Boat Forum. Very pleased to make your aquaintance.........

These profiles are simply fabulous, they look superb, well done. I had a look on the website you mention and the ship profiles are stunning. This is an artform that I for one have never seen done before. It's amazing what other are up to!

What do you do? Start with a scan of a line-drawing and 'fill it in'? And the scale, are these reduced in any way or the actual size?

So many questions..........

Looks like we need a profiles/art gallery section now! ;)

WhyMe, tell us more.......please!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Pixel art profiles

Postby WhyMe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 am

Thank you!

seawings wrote:What do you do? Start with a scan of a line-drawing and 'fill it in'? And the scale, are these reduced in any way or the actual size?
Usually I start with an aircraft plan, re-size it to match the scale and trace it with a thin black line using some graphic editing software. It's the easy part.
After that I usually need to study photographs and/or other drawings of the plane to manually fill my drawing with small details and shade it correctly. It's the most difficult and time-consuming phase which results with a pretty much completed profile of the aircraft although painted in a plain gray and without any markings. At this point, applying different markings and/or camouflage and paint I can produce various versions of the same plane. The scale is always the same across all the drawings so it's convenient to compare different planes side by side.
WhyMe

Return to Artist Profiles of Flying Boats and Seaplanes