Corgi 1:72 scale Short Sunderland Mk.III

This section is for information on, and discussion about, the fine examples of metal models from companies such as Corgi. Post here also if you have any to sell or want to buy.

Corgi 1:72 scale Short Sunderland Mk.III

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I purchased one of the 1:72 models of Short Sunderland Mk.III, EJ134, 461 Squadron, RAAF (1943) directly from Corgi and it was delivered to me in NZ by courier yesterday.

It is a very impressively detailed (and rather heavy) die-cast model from their Aviation Heritage range, one of a limited edition of 3,000. I've got no.1666, so they have already sold more than half of them (they were released in October 2015). Further information HERE.

Now I've got to decide where to display it.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Re: Corgi 1:72 scale Short Sunderland Mk.III

Postby longshot » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:07 pm

I imagine the shipping charge was a bit painful!! Probably doesnt float let alone fly! Interesting that it's of the boat that put down at Praa Sands...near where I live. I do prefer these die-cast models to plastic kits and if there was an Empire flying boat I would be tempted!
Mick
longshot

Re: Corgi 1:72 scale Short Sunderland Mk.III

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 am

The shipping charge was £25.00, which added to the £116.66 cost of the model brought it up to £141.66 all-up, or NZ$327.44 (that's the sum which showed on my bank statement).

Not exactly cheap, but reasonable for the size and quality of the model.

I was rather blown away by the size of the carton which was handed to me by the courier though. A 1:72 scale Sunderland is a rather large beast and the box it came in was also a big beast, but the outer carton they packed it in (surrounded by air-bag packaging to cushion it) was huge. However, it arrived in perfect condition.

Now if only they could bring out a same-scale diecast model of an Empire 'Boat. I'd be in like a shot, no matter which aircraft it was, although I'd prefer it to be either S.795 G-ADHL “Canopus” or S.886 ZK-AMA “Aotearoa”. Even better would be a set of both of those 'boats....the first Empire 'Boat to exist and the last to be cut-up.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Return to Die-Cast Metal - Ready Built Models - All Scales