Land and Launch!

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane discussion for the period and era shown ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

Land and Launch!

Postby flyernzl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

If you have your floatplane on the lake and want to service it in the hangar, how do you get it there?

Land on the grass and launch off a trolley, of course!

Video of Cessna 206 ZK-DXC at Taupo Airport, New Zealand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyUx2B- ... e=youtu.be
flyernzl

Re: Land and Launch!

Postby achean » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Wow, that's the craziest thing I'm going to see all day!

Before I watched the video I was most concerned about the take off and what about an EFATO. Then I saw the landing before hand...
achean

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 pm

While it doesn't happen every day, it's a pretty common occurrence.
I've seen it done with a Beaver and a Cub and somewhere on youtube there's a video of a smaller Cessna that was launched from a trailer on a country road.
In the old days where the shop did a lot of work on seaplanes they had a dolly that they used without the truck.
The dolly had a braking system that came into play when the airplanes weight was removed from it.
They would often water the grass to make a smoother landing area, but the airplane would usually slide farther.

Way back when I remember a Doctor that had a Helio Courier on straight floats that flew off a grass strip in front of his house all the time.
You have to remember that water is very hard when you hit it at 70 mph, as hard as concrete in fact.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby achean » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 pm

It would still scare me witless thinking about landing like that, especially the thought of nosing straight into the ground at speed right after touch down.

But, yes, you're right, water is pretty solid stuff at speed.
achean

Return to Float Planes and Seaplanes ONLY - Post WWII to the Modern Day