Unidentified 30s seaplane

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane discussion for the period and era shown ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

Re: Unidentified 30s seaplane

Postby kentadmirer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 am

I know, I know! :oops:

Here is the right link:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history_old/schneider4.html

I'm going to bed! Goodnight!
Ian
kentadmirer

Postby schneiderman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Ian,

Hmmm, I'd take that article on the RAF Museum website with a healthy dose of salt, it's riddled with errors. There is no indication that the Mercury racer was ever designed for any engine other than the Packard in reliable sources. As this X engine was built for the Navy, was always experimental, only used in racers and was 'loaned' to Williams and his syndicate, plus the fact that unit intended for the race was still under test when the Schneider entry was withdrawn, could give rise to the idea that there was a secret Navy engine.

The Vega-like features of the model would be the high-mounted cantiliver wing with tarpered plan and a general similarity in shape of the fin, rudder and tailplane. Not suggesting any direct family relationship, just the possibility that they came from the pen of the same designer. The deep and narrow fuselage, presumably dictated by the choice of engine, is curious. The central thrust line suggests either an offset geared V engine or a variation on the X, but the absence of any shaped cowlings over the cylinder banks is odd.

Ciao
schneiderman

Postby kentadmirer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello Ralph,

I did find the MOD website entry rather odd when I first read it. It is the only reference to a USN engine installed in the "Mercury" that I have come across and when you mentioned the word "interim" I put "two and two together". You may be right in your line of thinking concerning the entry, but isn't it strange they just didn't write the word "Packard" like everyone else?

You're absolutely right about the shape of the cowling. Very odd!
kentadmirer

Postby schneiderman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Ian,

The press back then were not so different from now. The US press in particular liked to play on the secrecy aspects, they used the term 'mystery ship' time and time again regarding both their racers and ours. I guess that as the Mercury was built in a USN factory and tested from a USN base, both not exactly open to the public, it was easy to extrapolate and see mystery and secrecy everywhere. Never let facts stand in the way of a good story! It also has to be said that William's himself, despite being decorated and a former holder of the air speed record, was a bit of a fantasist when it came to his attempts to participate in the two Schneider Trophy contests. Using his political contacts and influence to precipitate a Senate enquiry into the failure of the Mercury wasn't exactly subtle either.

Cheers

Ralph
schneiderman

Postby kentadmirer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello Ralph,

I think they need to employ another writer. You might expect this sort of thing from certain quarters but not the RAF's own site. A pity really.

Williams was indeed a colourful character!

Regards,
Ian
kentadmirer

Previous

Return to Float Planes and Seaplanes ONLY - Between the Wars