CRDA Cant Z.506A and/or Z.506C

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane discussion for the period and era shown ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

CRDA Cant Z.506A and/or Z.506C

Postby AquilaAudax » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:06 am

Hello ‘Seawingers’

I am trying to finalize the entry on the Cant Z.506 for my book on Trimotors, but there are a number of contradictions and/or gaps in my information and I wondered if anyone can throw some light on the situation for me please. This a challenge for the detail detectives !

I have had access to the references that are listed, with reference numbers, at the foot of this message.

Engines on the prototype aircraft:

Refs C, D, I, J, M, P & Q state that the engines fitted to the prototype were Piaggio Stella IX’s of 610 hp rating.
Refs F, K, R & T state that the engines fitted to the prototype were Pratt & Whitney Hornet’s.
Refs A, B, O & S make no mention of what engines were fitted to the prototype.

## My conclusion is that the engines fitted to the prototype were Piaggio Stella IX’s of 610 hp rating. Is this a correct assumption ?

Models Z.506A or Z.506C or both:

Ref B makes no mention of a variant designation for the civil version(s) but does refer to a ‘first series’ of production.
Refs A, G, M & S make no mention of a variant designation for the civil version(s)
Refs C, E, I, J, N, P & Q refer to the civil version as the model Z.506A.
Ref L refers to the civil version as the model Z.506C.
Refs F & T make no mention of a variant designation for the ‘first production batch’ of the civil version but use the designation of Z.506C for a later production batch fitted with 750 hp or 800 hp Alfa-Romeo’s.
Refs R & K state that aircraft fitted with Wright Cyclone engines were designated as the Z.506A, and those fitted with 750 hp or 800 hp Alfa-Romeo’s were designated as the Z.506C.

## My conclusion is that the designations Z.506A and Z.506C were both used for the civil versions - the difference being the type of engine installed (as noted in Refs R and K) . Is this a correct assumption ?

Engines for civil version(s) (Z.506A and/or Z.506C?):

Refs C, D, I, J, N & P make no mention of the engines fitted to the Z.506A’s for Ala Littoria.
Ref F states that the engines fitted to the Z.506A were Wright Cyclone GR-1820-F52’s.
Ref Q states that the engines fitted to the first batch of Z.506A’s for Ala Littoria were Piaggio Stella IX’s of 610 hp rating which were later replaced by Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 10’s rated at 800 hp - later production versions used Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s rated at 750 hp.
Ref O states that the engines fitted to the Z.506 were Wright Cyclones (5 off) and Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s for the Z.506C (10 off), all produced for Ala Littoria.
Refs F & L state that the engines fitted to the Z.506C were Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 10’s rated at 800 hp (which was a licence-built version of the Bristol Pegasus).
Ref G states that the engines fitted to the Z.506 Commercial Seaplane were Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s.
Ref B states that the ‘first series’ of production aircraft for Ala Littoria were fitted with Wright Cyclone engines.
Ref S states that the engines fitted to the civil versions (not designated) were either P&W Hornet, Wright Cyclone or Alfa-Romeo engines without noting model numbers or power ratings.
Ref T states that the engines fitted to the ‘first production batch’ were Wright GR-1820 Cyclones with the alternative powerplant being the Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34. [Those fitted with Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s were designated as Z.506C.]

## My conclusion is that the engines fitted to the Z.506A were Wright Cyclones and the engines fitted to the Z.506C were Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s or RC 10’s rated at 750 & 800 hp respectively. Is this a correct assumption ?

Engines for Record Flights – May and Nov 1937:

Ref Q states that the engines fitted to the Z.506A for these record attempts were FIAT A.59 RC’s (which was a licence-built version of the Pratt & Whitney Hornet) rated at 700 hp.
Refs I, J, O & P state that the engines fitted to the Z.506A for these record attempts were Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s rated at 750 hp.
All other Refs make no mention of what engines were fitted for these record attempts.

## My conclusion is that the engines fitted for these record attempts were Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s rated at 750 hp. Is this a correct assumption ?

Number of civil Z.506’s produced:

Refs J & P do not state how many Z.506A models were produced.
Ref A states that 15 civil Z.506 were produced before production of the Z.506B began.
Ref F states that ‘about 40’ civil models were ‘civil-registered’, of which ‘at least 19’ were operated by Ala Littoria’. Seventeen civil models were operated by the Air Force under military serials. It is not stated whether the latter were some of the aircraft which had been ‘civil-registered’ or were delivered straight to the military.
Ref L states that 38 Z.506C aircraft were ordered from 1937.
Ref M states that 37 civil Z.506 aircraft were ordered from 1937.
Ref O states 15 Z.506C were produced for Ala Littoria.
Ref Q states that 16 Z.506A were ordered between 1936 and 1938.
Ref R states approx 20 were built.

## My conclusion is that I have no idea how many were produced ?? Help !!

Engines for Record Flights of Z.506B – Nov 1937:

All refs state that the production Z.506B were fitted with Alfa-Romeo 126 RC 34’s rated at 750 hp but
Refs C, P & Q state that the engines fitted to the Z.506B for record attempts were Alfa-Romeo 127 RC 55’s rated at 750 hp.

## My conclusion is that, as the engine change is specifically noted, Alfa-Romeo 127 RC 55’s were probably fitted for the record attempts. Is this a correct assumption ?

REFERENCES:

A. Angelucci & Matricardi: World Aircraft; World War 2, Pt 1, Samson Low, London, 1977
B. Apostolo, Giorgio: Guida agli Aeroplani d’Italia-dalle origini ad oggi, Arnaldo Mondadori Editore, 1981
C. Donald, David: The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft, The Book Company, 1997
D. Eden and Moeng: The Encyclopedia of World Aircraft, Silverdale Books, 2002
E. Green, William: War Planes of WW2: Vol 6; Floatplanes, Macdonald, London 1962
F. Gunston, Bill: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Propeller Airliners, Windward, 1980
G. Jane’s All the World’s Aircraft, 1939 edition
H. ‘L’Aeronautica’ article, July 1937 issue
I. Mondey, David: The Concise Guide to Axis Aircraft of World War 2, Chancellor Press, 1984
J. Morse, S: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft [A-Z of Aircraft] (magazine series), Orbis Publishing
K. Munson, Ken: Fighters & Bombers of WW2, Blandford, London, 1969
L. Regia Aeronautica website [www.regiaaeronautica.it]
M. Taylor, M.H.R: Jane’s Encyclopedia of Aviation, Grolier, London, 1980
N. Taylor, J.W.R: Combat Aircraft of the World, Ebury Press, London, 1969
O. Taylor, J.W.R: Jane’s Pocket Book 15: Record Breaking Aircraft, Macdonald & Jane’s, London, 1978.
P. The Flightline website [www.kotfsc.com]
Q. Thompson, Jonathan: Italian Civil & Military Aircraft 1930-45, Aero Pubs, 1963
R. Weal, Elke: Combat Aircraft of World War 2, Lothian Pub Co, London, 1977
S. Wilson, Stewart: Aircraft of WW2, Aerospace Publications, Canberra, 1998
T. Wilson, Stewart: Airliners of the World, Aerospace Publications, Canberra, 1999
AquilaAudax

Re: CRDA Cant Z.506A and/or Z.506C

Postby TASSE » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am

Hi AA
I have Ali D'Italia No 5 which is another Apostolo publication. Decio Zorini editor.
It is in Italian & English text. I will photocopy all the relevant pages and mail them to you over the week-end.

Best wishes. Roy (TASSE).
TASSE

Re: CRDA Cant Z.506A and/or Z.506C

Postby AquilaAudax » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am

Hi Roy

You are the fount of all knowledge and a gent (as may father used to say)!!

Thank you - I await the post with great anticipation.

Cheers, Ray (AA)
AquilaAudax

Return to Float Planes and Seaplanes ONLY - Between the Wars