Curtiss Falcon

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane discussion for the period and era shown ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

Curtiss Falcon

Postby WhyMe » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Curtiss Falcon was a family of light observation/attack planes produced between 1925 and 1937.

Some of them were built with a single float:

Others had interchangeable landing gear of wheels or twin floats:

I was able to find some information and a few pictures on the Internet but I'd love to have a 3-view drawing or some info regarding the color schemes (especially the Colombian camouflage pictured above!) of these floatplanes.
WhyMe

Re: Curtiss Falcon

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:24 am

I can't help with the Peruvian Curtiss in the top photo (though it looks to be overall Aluminum dope with Red & White National Insignia), but the Curtiss in the middle photo was standard USAAC Gloss Dark Olive with Chrome Yellow wings & horizontal tail surfaces.
The Curtiss in the bottom photo was overall Dark Green with Light Green and Sand patches.
It carried the National Insignia in 6 places (on top of the top wing & on the bottom of the bottom wing and on the rudder) and the code 111a on the vertical fin in Black.

The best book I've found on the subject of the Latin American Air Arms is Dan Hagadorn's "Latin American Air Wars and Aircraft 1912 - 1969" (Hikoki Pub. 2006 ISBN 1 902109 44 9), that's where the above info came from.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby EdCraft » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:I can't help with the Peruvian Curtiss in the top photo...
No, MrWidgeon, Peru never used Curtiss "Falcon" biplanes. This image shows Chilean example - their aviation used about 30 "Falcons" from 1929 until 1939. Not all of them were floatplanes though. Below is the boxart of scale model of such Chilean Curtiss:
RUSHYDRO project
EdCraft

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:54 am

OOPS !
Thanks for the correction.
You're right, about the Curtiss picture being a Chilean airplane.
Missed that, I was more interested in the color scheme than the national insignia.
But, according to Dan Hagadorn's book on Latin American Air Wars Peru bought several Curtiss Falcons (10 Model D12 per Peter M. Bowers) and 3 Curtiss Sea Hawk fighters (Hawks on twin floats).
Photos of the Peruvian Falcons are apparently hard to come by, since he only has one very small and hard to make out photo of one.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby WhyMe » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Thank you for the info, gentlemen!

Meanwhile I was able to find another photo of a Chilean Falcon:

And two more of Peruvian one:
WhyMe

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:26 am

Nice finds ! ;)