Sopwith Waterplane

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane discussion for the period and era shown ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

Sopwith Waterplane

Postby TheFlyingPhysio » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I am a London based Australian pilot doing some research on Harry Hawker.

In particular I am interested in the Circuit of Britain Race of 1913 and the aircraft flown by Harry Hawker, a Sopwith Tractor Waterplane.

Does anyone have any photographs, plans or any other information available on the aircraft?
TheFlyingPhysio

Re: Sopwith Waterplane

Postby AquilaAudax » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello Flying Physio

Welcome to the forum from another Aussie - retired mechanical engineer in Perth (trying to write a book about Trimotors).

Looking in H.F.King's Sopwith Aircraft 1912-1920 (Putnam, 1980) there is a chapter titled 'Circuit Seaplanes' which has some notes and a couple of (fairly poor quality) illustrations of the aircraft that Harry Hawker flew in that event.

If you don't have a copy of that book, or access to it through a local library, send me your details off-line and I'll scan it and send it to you.

Cheers, Ray
AquilaAudax

Re: Sopwith Waterplane

Postby TheFlyingPhysio » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Many thanks for the replies. I was starting to give up hope there!

Alas have already seen both book chapter and article. Really after more detail if it exists.

Ray. Will be in Perth for a couple of days in April. Fancy a cool one?

Cheers
TheFlyingPhysio

Return to Float Planes and Seaplanes ONLY - Early Days to the end of WWI