Sunderland Accident

This is the place to discuss particular Shorts Flying Boat types and post documents, photographs and other relevant information appertaining to these craft.

Sunderland Accident

Postby apiderw » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 am

Sunderland DD 855 crashed into the sea on a flight out of Alness, Scotland on 20 April 1945. Any suggestions as to where I could find a report on the incident?
apiderw

Re: Sunderland Accident

Postby Pondskater » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:23 pm

The RAF Museum Department of Research and Information Services (DoRIS) will have the accident card and will probably supply a copy for a small fee.

The Sunderland Aircraft Crash Log (Roberts, Nicholas, Private, 1977) records:
19:36 Port Outer failed and caught fire on take off for local solo; pilot landed ahead but aircraft burnt and sank. 1 injured. cat E.

Bowyer Chaz, "The Short Sunderland", Aston 1989 records:
burnt/sank 20 April 1945 SOC 26 April 1945.

She was operating with 4 (C) OTU at Alness at the time.

I've never heard of a solo flight in a Sunderland before - I assume they mean the pilot making the flight without the instructor on board, but the rest of the crew doing their normal jobs.

Does that help?

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby apiderw » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 am

I have now tracked down the RAF reports on this incident, including one from Air Historical Branch.

I have one query, which I'm sure someone can assist me on.

Prior to this Sunderland mark III tsking off the pilot did the pre-designated flight checks but this did not include the fireproof doors behind the bulkhead.

After the aircraft was airborne the outer port engine caught fire. The astrodome lookout reported that part of the cowling had come off and flames & smoke were seen inside the wing behind the port engine. Flames and smoke were also seen to be coming externally from the top of the engine.

The pilot landed the craft but the crew were not successful in extinguishing the fire, which spread rapidly along the port wing so that the engine and then the wing fell off and the craft then sank. There were no fatalities.

The engine was a Pegasus XVIII.

Where are the fireproof doors behind the bulkhead? Should they have been part of the pre-flight check?
apiderw

Postby sunderlandnut » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

In the Pilot’s and Flight Engineer’s Notes for Sunderland III the only reference to doors is under ‘Taxying’ where it says “Ensure that all doors and hatches are closed and secured.”

I couldn’t quickly find a good photo of the doors on the Sunderland III but this interior photo of a Sunderland 1 would be much the same, I guess.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby sunderlandnut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Hello apiderw

Glad you were able to contact a hale and hearty Robert Hogarth and wish him well.
I also saw your message on the RAAF ANSW forum.

Can you tell us who was on board Sunderland DD855 on 20.4.45?
Name, Rank, Service No., Position?

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby apiderw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am

no, only my Father and Robert Hogarth. I got a report on the incident from the UK authorities but they would not release the names on account of "privacy" - 66 years on !!!

It has been suggested that because an RAAF pilot was involved there may be an australian record of the incident.

Any thoughts?
apiderw

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:33 am

HI FOLKS - THERE ARE NO FIREPROOF DOORS ON A SUNDERLAND MK III OR V - THE DOORS REFERRED TO IN THE PILOTS NOTES WHICH I ALSO HAVE , ARE OF COURSE THE 4 X LOWER DECK DOORS - THIS IS IN CASE THE BOAT STRIKES AN OBJECT IN THE WATER ON T/O OR ALIGHTING WHICH HOLES THE HULL . THE MK III + V ARE O.E.M. WITH A METHYL BROMIDE FIRE BOTTLE SYSTEM - IT NORMALLY WILL EXTINGUISH MOST ENGINE FIRES , BUT THE ENGINE IS THEN U/S . THANX J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Return to Shorts Flying Boats Reference Archive