Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat

This is the place to discuss particular Shorts Flying Boat types and post documents, photographs and other relevant information appertaining to these craft.

Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat

Postby Islander » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 am

Gentlemen!

You may be interested in my latest book - 'Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat' - which was released this week on my website. This standard sized 'picture book' with supporting text examines the history of the Short S-25 Sandringhams along with an in-depth look at 'Beachcomber' - which as you already know was the last Short Mk 4 Tasman Class Sandringham to operate a commercial airline service anywhere in the world.

I write my books for the enthusiast - I do not write for the mass market. If you are seriously interested in this particular aircraft then you can actually view the book as a QuickTime Movie on the website before you order the book (on-line ordering). Unfortunately the coffee-table version of this book will not be available for another 2 weeks until I can determine the postal costs in sending it to different parts of the world.

I know some people are going to whinge about the price - but before you do - read very carefully my explanation as to why I've gone down this path on the website.

Web address: http://www.aussieairliners.org- then enter through 'Books For Sale' button.

I am in the process of doing a similar book on 'Islander' - it should be available next year.

Enjoy - Islander

Islander

Re: Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat

Postby crship » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:12 pm

An excellent book and I look forward to the Islander edition. Once that is out and you can give me postal rates to England I will order.
You got me to thinking.... in the late 80/s when I was still in Aust I made contact with a film producer in the UK who had put together a couple of videos on the subject of Islander and Beachcomber. I partnered with him and bought the dist rights for Australia.
There were three films
The last sunderland - covering Islander under restoration in 1984 and the move to Chatham
The big boat of the islands - a filmic history of Beachcomber from the day she rolled off the production line to the day it was rolled into the RJ Mitchell Museum in Southhampton
The big boats - recollections of former Empire flying boat pilot John Hacket ( this also included footage of Beachcombers final flight to the UK.

When I moved to england in 1996 I brought the masters with me but have done nothing more to them.
I guess if there is enough interest I could transfer them to DVD and offer them to those who might be interested.
Assuming of course that the masters are still usable.
If any one is interested please let me know through the forum.

Charles
crship

Postby Pondskater » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Oh yes, I'd be interested, especially the recollections of an Empire pilot.

Would you offer them through Bryan's shop?
Pondskater

Postby crship » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks
I'll see how much interest I get and then look at transferring to DVD.
Charles
crship

Postby ant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Count me in too!
ant

Postby Islander » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 am

Gentlemen!

Further to my book - 'Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat' - which is still available on my website as a traditional 'paper' book. This book is now available as an eBook.

The eBook is supplied as a CD which you load onto your computer. It is written in PDF format thus allowing total connectivity across all computer platforms. From your computer you can load it onto an eBook reader or iPad - thus allowing you to take it anywhere and view it at any time that suits you - even in the privacy of the WC.

This eBook currently has over 190 pages of text and images - some rare and never seen before. It is inexpensively priced. All of my eBooks are individually numbered.

You can order the eBook directly from the website - enter via the 'Books For Sale' button and follow the links.

Web address: http://www.aussieairliners.org

Work has already commenced on 'Islander - the story of a flying boat' - which will be available later in the year.
Islander

Postby seawings » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 am

Pondskater wrote:Oh yes, I'd be interested, especially the recollections of an Empire pilot.

Would you offer them through Bryan's shop?

That would be nice! But, I have not been asked as yet.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby antipodeanandy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 am

Good on you, Robert. Have never seen your site before and I must say it is rather awesome!
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Return to Shorts Flying Boats Reference Archive