BOAC Hythe Flying Boat G-AGJO

This is the place to discuss particular Shorts Flying Boat types and post documents, photographs and other relevant information appertaining to these craft.

BOAC Hythe Flying Boat G-AGJO

Postby Aotearoa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 am

I have a beautiful shot of BOAC Hythe G-AGJO in the all-metal livery that I understand was introduced from Jan 1945 onwards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152506730@N03/

I need somebody who knows a bit about the Transport Command Radio Call-signs of WWII to help me please.
Behind G-AGJO you can see another aircraft with the Call-sign 'OQZS'. This was the call-sign of G-AGES. Now here is my query:
G-AGJO wasn't delivered to BOAC until 3 February 1944 but G-AGES was destroyed in the accident at Mount Brandon, Ireland on 28 July 1943!!
So that aircraft cannot be G-AGES!
Is it possible that when Sunderlands G-AHEO, G-AHEP and G-AHER were delivered to BOAC in March 1945, that one of them could have been allocated G-AGES's former call-sign??
If not, how can this photo be explained please??
I would have thought that 1945 would have been too late to be issuing call-signs as the war had nearly ended!
Many thanks.
Aotearoa

Re: BOAC Hythe Flying Boat G-AGJO

Postby longshot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi Paul....Although G-AGES is usually associated with the call-sign OQZS the Air Britain 'Ocean Sentinel' book doesn't list any Sunderland as OQZS in the individual histories (but it does link G-AGES to OQZS in the index!) I've posted your query on the Air-Britain forum. Mick
longshot

Re: BOAC Hythe Flying Boat G-AGJO

Postby longshot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi Paul...Got an answer from M.P. on Air-Britain's ABIX forum..... (he's an expert on Bournemouth area aviation in England)
' The mystery Sunderland OQZS is DD860 / G-AHEP. When BOAC received their Sunderlands from 1943 they carried civil registrations. However from early 1944 they began to wear Transport Command style codes/serials. At the end of the war the surviving Sunderlands were converted at Hythe into the 'Hythe Class'. However the initial ones appeared in 1945/46 with their former codes/serials, not civil registrations. I'm trying to establish the date when the first one appeared with civil registration only (as per G-AGJO in the photo).
When the Transport Command codes were allocated they were meant to tie in with the Sundelands civil registration. So OQZS was allocated to G-AGES despite the fact that it had already crashed! OQZS was then re-allocated to DD860 (date unknown) which was civilian registered as G-AHEP in March 1946. However it was not converted at the time and the photo seems to show it 'beached' at Hythe awaiting its fate.
I would say that the year in 1946 as that is when 'civil' Hythes first appeared.'
....So it seems to be a case of a posthumous Radio Code allocation on paper....Mick
longshot

Return to Shorts Flying Boats Reference Archive