RNZAF 490 squadron

This is the place to seek - or to post information about - Flying Boat Squadron crew personnel, Civilian crew personnel or Ground personnel, from any era. Use it to seek out contacts or to record and describe their (or your) exploits for posterity and any crew photographs you may find to post.

RNZAF 490 squadron

Postby apiderw » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 am

The above was a New Zealand squadron and part of Coastal Command. It was formed in 1943 on the west coast of Scotland and moved later that year to Jui in Sierra Leone before disbanding in 1945. The squadron was equipped with Catalinas and Sunderlands. My dad flew with the squadron.

Has anyone information on the Squadron or personnel?
apiderw

Re: RNZAF 490 squadron

Postby sunderlandnut » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Following from John Evan’s excellent booklet Flying-Boat Queen Vol.3
(Paterchurch 2004) ISBN 1 870745 13 2

Is your Dad there?

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby apiderw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:33 am

no my Dad is not. Don't know why but he was a Flt L so should have been. F/O McGreal is alive [92] and living in Auckland. Dad never spoke much about his service - sadly he passed on in 2006. he did tell me that a number of the Sunderlands after VE day were towed out and scuttled of the coast near Jui.

Now anyone for a diving expedition?

I have a couple of other pics of Sunderlands at jui and one of the base if there is any interest
apiderw

Postby flyernzl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:05 am

Frank Gill survived the war and later became an MP in the New Zealand parliament.
flyernzl

Postby antipodeanandy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I have a couple of other pics of Sunderlands at jui and one of the base if there is any interest

Very interested. Yes please.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Postby apiderw » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

There was a Lawrie Schwabe, NZ422319, who served with RNZAF 490 in Jui. Does anyone know if he is ssill living?
apiderw

Postby graron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm

My uncle, Ronald Matherson Grant, was captain of FP112 "Marlborough"(an aircraft he had never flown before) which crashed and burned off Pepel performing unauthorised low flying. All were killed save the co-pilot, a friend of Ron's, Frank Brittain. I rang Laurie Schwabe in 2003 and we talked about the squadron and specifically, the accident. I believe Laurie was to be Ron's new co-pilot, but on the day, Frank Brittain went for the test flight. The previous co-pilot, Tom Neave, was well known in NZ flying circles, and was patron of the Catalina Group of NZ (incidentally, Tom diced with death 50 years later on the first attempt to ferry a cat to NZ. It had to be put down in the sea and crew rescued by a passing freighter- but that's another story altogether!).

My son and I have done a bit of research and accumulated all sorts of information: accident reports, medical reports etc from archives. Any information that anyone can provide on the squadron (which Laurie called the "forgotten squadron") would be of great interest to me. I have my uncle's letters, photos ( none in Jui) and his log-book (plus medals, flying badges).

I was named after my uncle. My son and I flew on ZK-PBY when it was involved in the air-safari last year- a very poignant hour I can tell you.
graron

Postby apiderw » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 am

what was the date of the FP112 "Marlborough" accident?
apiderw

Postby graron » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 am

The accident happened on 18 November 1943. Report stated that the aircraft crashed and burned-out after the port wingtip touched the water. Pilot misjudged height above the water due to still glassy surface and haze.
graron

Return to Flying Boat crews - Contacts and Requests