Cpl Bernard (Johnnie) Glyn Johnson

This is the place to seek - or to post information about - Flying Boat Squadron crew personnel, Civilian crew personnel or Ground personnel, from any era. Use it to seek out contacts or to record and describe their (or your) exploits for posterity and any crew photographs you may find to post.

Cpl Bernard (Johnnie) Glyn Johnson

Postby sonofanobody » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 am

I am trying to locate any information about my late father. He was a Wop/Rear gunner on Sunderlands and I believe flew from Castle Archdale, Pembroke Dock and Rekjavik. I don't know which squadron he flew with as I am awaiting his service records from the RAF. If anyone has any information, served with him, or has come across his name in their research, I would much appreciate it.
Regards
Son of a Nobody
sonofanobody

Re: Cpl Bernard (Johnnie) Glyn Johnson

Postby AlexNortonesq » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:17 am

He may not have left much of a written record; but, it is probably unfair to refer to him as a nobody! After all, he was responsible for you.
AlexNortonesq

Postby antipodeanandy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Definitely not a nobody! You must be very proud of your Dad.

There's other much more knowledgable chaps on here but I'll chuck in what little I know. I'm sure several Sunderland squadrons operated detachments (at least) from Reykjavik but think 201 Squadron was posted there in its entirety. 204 was there briefly in 1941.

Sorry, not much help.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Postby sonofanobody » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 am

AlexNortonesq wrote:He may not have left much of a written record; but, it is probably unfair to refer to him as a nobody! After all, he was responsible for you.

Hi Alex
Thanks for your comments. It is very noble of you to speak out on his behalf. I am actually proud to be the son of a nobody. They are his words by the way, not mine. He started writing a book about his childhood, upto around the time he joined the RAF and like so many war veterans, he virtually never spoke about what he and many others went through during those terrible years. This is why I am researching his wartime history, so that, as dubbed by my older and younger brother, I am the 'keeper of the records' and our family history is not lost to his great grand children.

Best Regards
Maynard Johnson
sonofanobody

Postby sonofanobody » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:02 am

antipodeanandy wrote:Definitely not a nobody! You must be very proud of your Dad.

There's other much more knowledgable chaps on here but I'll chuck in what little I know. I'm sure several Sunderland squadrons operated detachments (at least) from Reykjavik but think 201 Squadron was posted there in its entirety. 204 was there briefly in 1941.

Sorry, not much help.

Hi Andy

The information is much appreciated, and is a help. Your reply explains why I haven't been able to tie down which squadron he was in. Yes, I am fiercely proud of my Dad. Thanks to all who contribute to forums such as this one and to Bryan who makes it possible.

Best Regards
Maynard Johnson
sonofanobody

Postby AlexNortonesq » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 am

Maynard:

"...and like so many war veterans, he virtually never spoke about what he and many others went through during those terrible years."

My Dad was much the same. Now when I ask him about things he says that he spend so long trying to forget those things, he can't remember them anymore. I was a little luckier, in that I met his pilot a few times (Dad was a navigator (actually an Observer)), and Lana never forgot any of their times together. I was able to get many stories from Alan before he died a few years ago.

I wish you luck with your search. It become more difficult every day to find the survivors.

Yours

Alex
AlexNortonesq

Return to Flying Boat crews - Contacts and Requests