The Syme crew - 461 Sqn RAAF - come ashore at Pembroke Dock

This is the place to seek - or to post information about - Flying Boat Squadron crew personnel, Civilian crew personnel or Ground personnel, from any era. Use it to seek out contacts or to record and describe their (or your) exploits for posterity and any crew photographs you may find to post.

The Syme crew - 461 Sqn RAAF - come ashore at Pembroke Dock

Postby antipodeanandy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 am

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/ART26275/

I knew of Stella Bowen from her 'Bomber Crew' painting so was pleasantly surprised to find she had painted another crew - A Sunderland crew comes ashore at Pembroke Dock.

Group portrait of the crew of Short Sunderland flying boat, 461 Squadron, RAAF at Pembroke Dock, Wales. Seen as crew come up the steps are: Fredrick (Derry) Syme (pilot), Ronald Warfield (navigator), Ron Tyson (gunner), Eric Genders (gunner) and Charlie Martin (third pilot), 'Spud' Murphy (wireless operator/air gunner), Bob Mead (wireless operator/gunner), Merv Pike (second pilot), Jock Beattie (RAF, first engineer), 'Curly' Rowland (RAF, second engineer) and John Bishop (RAF, wireless operator/gunner) at Pembroke Dock, Wales. The last three were RAF, the others RAAF. Sunderland flying boats, part of tender from which crew is landing.

I'll endeavour to check my copy of Ashworth's The ANZAC Squadron to see what references to this crew are in it. Feel free to jump in if you have any info on this crew. Other than that, isn't it a wonderful image?

Incidentally, I would hazard a guess that you can get a copy of this print from the AWM.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Re: The Syme crew - 461 Sqn RAAF - come ashore at Pembroke Dock

Postby sunderlandnut » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi Andy

Yes, I have that AWM page with very nice painting.
That crew were on ops together (apart from Martin) on Sunderland ML744 in June 1944.
A401630 F/O Syme, Frederick M Captain
A414111 W.O. Warfield, R G Navigator
A418413 F/Sgt. Tyson, R J Gunner
A408246 W.O. Genders, E H Gunner
Martin, Charlie 3rd Pilot
A418757 F/Sgt. Murphy, N A 'Spud' WOP/AG
A428599? F/Sgt. Mead, R E 'Bob' WOP/AG
A420047 F/O Pike, M W 2nd Pilot
631608 Sgt. Beattie, R E 'Jock' RAF Flt. Engr.
1624550 Sgt. Rowland, 'Curly' RAF 2nd Engr.
1601706 Sgt. Bishop, John RAF WOP/AG

Herington Vol.4 p.245 has: 8 Aug 44 X/461; Footnote: F-Lt F M Syme, 401630; 461 Sqn. Farmer; of Nyora, Vic; b. Warracknabeal, Vic, 13 Sep 1920.

Otherwise not much on the others apart from where their names and service numbers appear on 461 Sqn ORB’s.

I have a database with over 3,500 Sunderland crew memebers.
Ashworth's book The ANZAC Squadron is a very good source of info on 461 Sqn.
I am in regular contact with Joe Leach (WOP/AG on W3983 10 Sqn RAAF), now 92, at Nelson Bay and usually visit him when I am in Oz to see my pom relatives at Gordon and elsewhere. I am only 82.

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Re: The Syme crew - 461 Sqn RAAF - come ashore at Pembroke Dock

Postby antipodeanandy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:09 am

Cracking as always, Richard.

I've got Joe Leach's RAAF Flying Boats At War - The Way It Was on the shelf but have yet to read it. Glad to hear he is still with us. So many books ... not enough shelf space! :lol:
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Return to Flying Boat crews - Contacts and Requests