PhotoBucket

If you can think of a new section that would be useful or have any constructive comments on this forum, please post them here.

PhotoBucket

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 am

Is everybody aware of the changes underway at PhotoBucket?

Looking through this forum, I see a vast number of photographs hosted at PhotoBucket, including virtually all images posted by me.

The changes at PhotoBucket have the potential to decimate this group, and in fact virtually every online messageboard forum.

Take a look at the following thread at the Wings Over New Zealand Aviation Messageboard forum....

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/25520/big-problems-linking-photobucket-forum
Kiwithrottlejockey

Re: PhotoBucket

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:44 am

The changes went into effect on 6/28 and it isn't just here or the NZ boards, it's everywhere.
They want $399.99 a year for 3rd party linking privileges.
All of my Widgeon, Goose and Mallard posts and more are gone as far as I can see, so is my personal image that appears with my name.
I have over 1600 images in my Photobucket account and while they SAY you can download them I've been trying since this AM with no luck.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am

I can still see your personal image that appears with your name and I've just taken a random look through some of the threads you have posted about Grumman amphibian flying-boats and your images are still displaying on each of the pages I randomly opened. As I haven't visited most of those threads before, the images are definitely freshly downloading to my computer.

I have a couple of Photobucket accounts.

One is a freebie, which I haven't uploaded anything to for a couple of years or so, although a lot of images at various groups are still sourced from that account. As far as I can see, they are still all showing, at least to me.

The other account is a paid account, which I paid for because I was constantly running out of bandwidth each month. I just paid for another year for that account about 2½ months ago, so I guess they are locked into their contract terms with me for another 9½ months with me. That is the account I have virtually all of my aviation-related photographs uploaded to, and from where they are sourcing to display in messages I have posted both here and at other messageboard forums.

I'm starting to wonder if perhaps, because I am logged into the account I have paid for while using this browser (I've got four different browsers on my computer), they are still allowing me to view third-party-sourced images posted by other people, which could explain why I can still see the images you have posted in the places I have looked.

But it isn't good. Photobucket are pissing off a shitload of people, and I know a heap of people (including those with paid accounts) who are simply using the download tool to archive to their computers everything they have uploaded to Photobucket prior to telling them to stick their service right up their arsehole. A couple of people I know have already sent highly abusive emails to Photobucket as they have pulled the plug on their accounts (including their paid accounts) telling them in no uncertain terms why they are leaving. You've gotta wonder about the long-term prospects for Photobucket if they are pissing off so many people all over the world. They are being just plain greedy.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am

BTW, regarding you not being able to download your images. I notice Photobucket's servers have been very slow, when they are even working at all, over the past 2-3 days. I am seriously wondering if some pissed-off account-holders are retaliating with denial-of-service attacks against Photobucket. It seems a bit coincidental that Photobucket piss a lot of people off like this, then their servers slow right down in the way they have, including going right offline for periods of time.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby dogsbody » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 pm

As I had splurged on the pop-up/ad-free update, back in March, my pictures are still okay for posting and can still be seen. As I understand it, I should be good until next March. But just to cover my backside, I have downloaded all my PB images back onto my 'puter and have started using http://village.photos/

As time permits, I will be removing my PB pictures from the forum and replacing them.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby dogsbody » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 am

Update! I have now gone to Flickr. It's a bit of a learning curve for me, but I think I've got it.

Village.Photo just wasn't quite doing it. Hopefully Flickr turns out OK in the long run.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 am

Hi Guys,

Excuse me for playing catch-up but I've been abroad on business and had no time to spare on the laptop for anything else.

I'm having a look around but see my post regarding the IMGUR image site as reported on Hyperscale yesterday; it looks at face value a decent option possibly?

Cheers.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby seawings » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 am

As of today, I note the Mozilla Firefox add-on extension that solved the issue of images hosted by PhotoBucket not displaying is still working fine and I can see all mine.

Makes a change for something to work in the face of capitalism...!

Long may it continue.......
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Return to Please place any Forum Suggestions or Comments here