Puzle picture

Use this section for Floatplane & Seaplane general discussion where it does not fit into the catagories below ONLY. You may post pictures, plans and requests for information on any type, past or present, here.

Puzle picture

Postby TASSE » Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 pm

I have not got a clue what this is. Its in English clothing but looks very French.

TASSE
TASSE

Re: Puzle picture

Postby dogsbody » Mon May 18, 2009 11:27 pm

That's a Besson MB 411, the type used on the Frecnh submarine Surcouf.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby TASSE » Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 am

Well Chris ithink that you are correct in saying Besson but the pics of the 411 that i have from the Surcouf show an angular ventral fin. The 411 & the Surcouf docked at Plymouth & the Surcouf left the 411 behind as it had engine problems and then the Royal Navy played around with it. But i see that aircraft was No.1,So there must have been a No,2, unless the navy modified it.

I will look up more on it as i know that i have an ancient letter from Vic Hodgkinson somewhere which explained the whole episode. Just need time.

Cheers. Roy.
TASSE

Postby dogsbody » Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 am

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby TASSE » Tue May 19, 2009 7:36 pm

The best reference so far is by the late Ton Meynders on Air Warfare Forum.
Here is the letter from Cpt. Hodgkinson dated Spring 1983.

"----i include an article on the Surcouf sent to me by a friend, one F/Lt Kev Baff currently serving in the Royal Australian Air Force (No. 10 sqdn) P3C's (Orions). He has written a book on No. 10s operations (Sunderlands) during the war. ------- He has provided some of the following info.
My first contact with the submarine Surcouf (Sea Wolf) was during the southern evacuation of France when we were operating out of Plymouth in No.10 Sqdn. (1914). It was amongst a great mass of shipping of all shapes & sizes making their way to the Southern ports of England. It was under tow by tugs and took refuge in Plymouth Sound.
The Besson floatplane was sent ashore and was housed in a hangar at Mount Batten. I personally did'nt see it fly,but no doubt it ventured into the air occasionally, if only to give the pilot some experience. I think from his background that he had not flown the type before arrival in the U.K. I note from your letter that flights had been recorded.
--------- The Besson of course did not accompany the sub ( which went to the Gulf of Mexico --TASSE) no doubt due to lack of spares and operational reasons. The aircraft was subsequently moved to Roborough (Plymouth Airport ?) and used as an instructional airframe. I guess it was destroyed there".
I once heard say in a Plymouth pub that it ended up as a climbing frame in a local school, but this could be folk
talk......TASSE.
The remainder of the letter is about the French pilot who joined the Australian squadron and sadly lost his life.

So to sum up -- the photo is one of two Bessons built but which one ? I would guess No.2 as the fin and rudder are different than No.1, unless as Ton Meynders said the Brits added a revised one.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby TASSE » Tue May 19, 2009 7:40 pm

The Besson MB-411. No.1.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby TASSE » Thu May 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Anotherphoto of the Besson MB.411. No.1.

TASSE.
TASSE

Return to Float Planes and Seaplanes ONLY - General Discussion