Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good year

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Re: Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good year

Postby dogsbody » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:21 am

I've been retired for almost 4 years and have enough money to grow disgracefully and disgustingly on my own. Some of my company supplied pension will cease and be replaces by the government supplied coin. I will never live long enough to get back all the money that I paid into Canada Pension. That extra will be given to useless politicians and bureaucrats and all of those who have decided that they didn't need to work all their lives and live off the government dole.

Thanks for the info on that unknown early airline.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:27 am

Were you able to view the photograph of that Curtiss flying-boat from the link I provided?

Just curious, because it was from a closed Facebook group, but I have found in the past that often if one ignores the URL to the posting and simply extracts the URL to the image, it will sometimes download the image to people who aren't a member of the closed group. Although not always.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby dogsbody » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes, I can see the pictures. They don't open in Facebook, so that doesn't have anything to do with it. I just click the link and they appear.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby schneiderman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:19 pm

seawings wrote:Well, here I am again..!

Just hit 65 today.! Feeling well old right now.....Oh, well, at least I've made it this far.

Hi Bryan, congratulations. I've got 4 months to go
schneiderman

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:34 pm

dogsbody wrote:Yes, I can see the pictures. They don't open in Facebook, so that doesn't have anything to do with it. I just click the link and they appear.

Chris

Another photograph posted in the closed group in reply to the original post...

https://scontent.fpmr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CD19C63

...the post is from Bill Bailey who says his Dad was a mechanic with that airline and that is him standing at the front of the flying-boat.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby AlexNortonesq » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:03 am

Bryan: 65 is nothing. However in 2019, I turn 70. Anything to worry about? Not if I can ski every day through early April, then get on my bicycle as soon thereafter as the roads are clear, I should be right. Right?

Sorry to hear about the house disaster. Good to hear that it is behind you now, and that things Seawings will resume their appropriate priority!

Happy New Year

Alex
AlexNortonesq

Postby seawings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi All,

Hope you all had a great New Years Day...!

Back at work today, like nothing had happened.....strange isn't it.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby dogsbody » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 am

seawings wrote:Hi All,

Hope you all had a great New Years Day...!

Back at work today, like nothing had happened.....strange isn't it.

I'm retired.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby longshot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Wishing everyone on Seawings a happy 2019 from aviation starved West Cornwall.....I missed this thread until today :-) Mick West
longshot

Postby AlexNortonesq » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm

Chris: I really don't want to get into a political debate with you, but someone has been leading you astray with respect to the CPP and how long it will take to get you money out. I went to the CPP site for information on the maximum contributions employees have had to make to the plan since 1970, presuming you started working about then. (It is a good place to start even if you started working earlier since the maximum contribution then wasn't much (that year the maximum employee contribution was $84.60)). If you paid in the maximum all those years to 2018, you would have paid in $44,447.60. Divide that by the monthly payment I receive today (which in my case is $1103.20, and that includes some valid from Mary's plan) and you will have the number of months of payout before you will have received back you contributions. In my case it is 42.1 months. Since I have not always paid in the maximum, the payout time is shorter. That's only 3 and a half years. Add a bit more time for an interest component, and I imagine you will live long enough. I fully expect to live longer than 70, which would be 5 years of receiving CPP. After that I'm ahead of the game, and I'll guess you will be too. You can't always believe those sceptics who talk about pension plans as entitlements, or tell you that the politicians are living high on the hog on your CPP contributions. I will whole heartily agree that they are living too high on the hog on your tax payments, though! No debate there.
AlexNortonesq

PreviousNext

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........