Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good year

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Re: Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good year

Postby dogsbody » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Merry Christmas from the frozen North, Alan.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby schneiderman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Happy Christmas to the half-dozen or so of us who still frequent this forum :) :D
schneiderman

Postby dogsbody » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:34 am

schneiderman wrote:Happy Christmas to the half-dozen or so of us who still frequent this forum :) :D

Merry Christmas, schneiderman. I'm here at least once a day when I can. Bryan has had some issues with water at his house and has been away from his computer for a bit. He'll be back when he can.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 am

I'm here...!

Happy Christmas everyone - all the Registered Members and the visitors too...!

As Chris say's, wev'e had a few issues with water lately.......150/200 gallons approx to give you an idea. Our roof loft mains water tank split open at 2.03AM on Monday 5th February morning and dumped the contents right over our two main first-floor bedrooms, Yup, the two I had just spent two ywears refurbishing and renovating.......I was woken first by screams coming from Charlotte's bedroom, then by the sound of running water..!

It took a few minutes to work out what the hell was happening then I had to go outside to get the step ladder so I could get in the loft., then locate the hand-torch and plug the electrics in for the loft lighting. Not a clever idea with hindsight that, but in a blind dash and somewhat of a panic, one's brain doesn't necessarily take it all in and think straight at the time..!

OMG..! The scene was awful up there. The sound of running water was the ball-cock trying its best to refill the tank as it had emptied, it thinking we were having the world's longest shower..! So, back down I went to get some tie-string and that was located in a shed at the far end of our garden, so more time lost running in the pitch black darkness fumbling around.

To cut a really long story short, it was at least 30 mins before the ball-cock could be tied up and the flow stopped.

'Turn the water off at the mains, Man'..! I can hear you all shouting...Um, forgot to mention that the downstairs kitchen floor was flooded and the water mains entry point with a water meter fitted to it had every seal broken and was leaking clean drinking water into the kitchen as well...! Could'nt turn it off by hand.

I called my domestic Plumber in a state of panic at 2.28am and Bless Him he was here in 5 mins..! Remember, this was around 2.30/2.45AM..!

He sorted it all out over the next hour, I called the Insurance company at 09.00 and we as a family of three began a journey of pure hell in leaving our home the same day with just what we could carry and living in a room each at the local Premier Inn travel-lodge/motel down the road. We returned to our home this past week.

In the meantime, the builders came in, tore out the bedroom ceilings and re-built them (better than they ever were!) and also knocked out the adjoining wall which was located directly beneath the water tank, and re-built that too. It has all been re-decorated, carpets replaced, in-fact everything replaced - most of the furniture due to water damage, etc.

I have personally spent the past week and the days of this holiday right up until last night building new bedroom furniture and have just about completed it all. I''m taking a break today but willre-commence on Boxing Day as fortuntaley earlier in the year I took this Christmas period off from work as I have a 'senior birthday moment' coming on the 27th Dec (hitting 65 y.o....!) and thoght we could do some as a family; now I know what that something will be..!

So, there you go, that has been our life for the past month and a half, miserable, just ruddy miserable.

But, looking for some positivety out of all of this, I learnt some things; (1) always have building AND contents insurance with a RESPECTABLE insurance company - they have been perfect throughout, (2) always prepare for the worst - make sure you place beside the loft entrance hatch up there what you need in a situation such as this to avoid wasting valuable time, always easy after the event but never, ever considered beforehand by me, (3) the home is now better than it was prior to the event, and (4) no-one was hurt.

Finally, changing the subject, to give you all an overview of my thoughts as we approach the end of another year, I log into this Forum everyday, but don't post that often; I built it for the Registered Members to use and others to join and whether it's 5, 50 or 500 that login in daily I don't mind; the really important point is that it is here for everyone to see and use and my main task is to ensure it is kept 'up here' 24/7/365 and contains the differing subject sectors that everyone wants to see and use. Same with SEAWINGS, which takes up most of my spare time in organising and conected stuff.

God Willing, life will allow me some more quality time to continue all the flying boat reference work that I do and love; and it wouldn't be the same without all of you 'out there', so here is wishing you all a Peaceful New Year for 2019.

Right, now where did I put my screwdriver......
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby dogsbody » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:55 pm

Wow! You didn't include all those details in your email. What a trying experience!

Merry Christmas, Bryan, to you and yours. Hopefully next year will be better for you than this one was.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:56 am

Hi Bryan, I hit 65 and become a senior citizen six weeks and two days after you.

And in New Zealand that means I get a Winston Card (officially a Super Gold Seniors Card, named after the current Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters who got seniors the card just over a decade ago as part of a coalition agreement with the then-Labour goverment of Helen Clark); and it also means the goverment start paying me “drinking money” every fortnight (national superannuation), although I'll lose 33% of it in tax as I'm in the top tax bracket in NZ. I am, however, planning to continue working (I drive trains for a living) for at least another 6-7 years, provided I can continue to pass the annual medical.

Anyway, I trust everybody had a great Christmas Day yesterday (that's NZ time) and you all end up having a happy and prosperous New Year, and in your case Bryan, no more water events.

I love this forum ... it is the ultimate crowd-contributed online reference about flying-boats.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby seawings » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:11 am

Well, here I am again..!

Just hit 65 today.! Feeling well old right now.....Oh, well, at least I've made it this far.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 am

seawings wrote:Well, here I am again..!

Just hit 65 today.! Feeling well old right now.....Oh, well, at least I've made it this far.

Hi Bryan,

Happy Birthday, and I trust many many happy Returns :)

Sorry to read of your troubles leading up to Christmas, I hope things are settling
down for you and family?

Kind Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby dogsbody » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Hey, I'm not too far behind you. I hit 64 just last month. Next year I'll get the government pension. Oh joy.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:03 am

dogsbody wrote:

Hey, I'm not too far behind you. I hit 64 just last month. Next year I'll get the government pension. Oh joy.

Chris

Think of all the drinking money you'll get from the government to grow old disgracefully with, especially if you are still working as well.

And to drag it back to marine aviation, I belong to a closed Facebook group called “Classic Airliners of the world before the Jet age”.

Somebody posted a photograph of a St Tammany-Gulf Coast Airways Curtiss HS-2L flying-boat operating out of New Orleans Gulf Port and Jackson Mississippi flying US Air Mail. I had never heard of the airline, but used Mr Google to do a bit of searching and found some very scratchy info about the operation, but no mention of any Curtiss flying-boats. You may need to join “Classic Airliners of the world before the Jet age” to view the photograph, but sometimes a direct link will reveal it to anyone...

https://scontent.fpmr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5C9FEDAC

And here is a route map of the service...

https://scontent.fpmr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CCC72D8

Presumably they landed in rivers and/or lakes with the inland parts of the route.
Kiwithrottlejockey

PreviousNext

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........