Visit to Ireland

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Visit to Ireland

Postby flyernzl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 am

We will be visiting Ireland in June/July next year (2015).

At this time we are at the 'route planning' stage.

I am aware of the Foynes Flying Boat museum and the Air Corps museum at Baldonnel. Are there any other museums or collections of aviation interest?

Not marine-aircraft related, but are the Alcock & Brown Vimy flight memorials at County Galway still there and able to be visited?

Any pointers and leads warmly welcomed
flyernzl

Re: Visit to Ireland

Postby AlexNortonesq » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 pm

There is a museum devoted to the base at Castle Archdale in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, on Lough Erne, if you are venturing up to the north. The hardstanding is now part of a caravan park, and the slipways are still there. The forum has further information on it, in the Bases section.
AlexNortonesq

Postby seawings » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:34 am

No chance of popping over to the UK, at all??
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby flyernzl » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 am

Nothing is off the cards at this stage, but given the desire to spend quite a lot of time in Ireland and the Mrs desire to do a canal boat trip in Germany or the Netherlands, it would seem to be pushing things a bit time-wise.

Depends on what's on offer I suppose.
flyernzl

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........