Seaplane records

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Seaplane records

Postby WhyMe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

I was wondering if there is a list of aviation records (distance, altitude, speed, endurance, etc.) set by saeplanes. The Wiki has nicely organized lists of aviation records in general but pretty much all of them are set by conventional aircraft. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or, in case it's not available online, should we so to say join forces and create such a list? It would be great!

Update: more Wiki articles about aviation records
Last edited by WhyMe on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhyMe

Re: Seaplane records

Postby seawings » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:34 pm

That's a thought.......

Could also do one for pure flying boats as well....!

If there is enough interest I can create another sub-forum.

Let me know...........
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Philthy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:25 am

You can see all the current records on the FAI website at http://www.fai.org/record-powered-aeroplanes

Look at Classes C-2 (Seaplanes), C-3 (Amphibians), C-bis and C-ter, and their various sub-classes
Aeradio Operator John G. 'Johnnie' Walker, Karumba Flying Boat Base, 1938.
Philthy

Postby seawings » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 am

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Isn't it amazing what can be found on the internet nowadays!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby WhyMe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Philthy wrote:You can see all the current records on the FAI website at http://www.fai.org/record-powered-aeroplanes
Look at Classes C-2 (Seaplanes), C-3 (Amphibians), C-bis and C-ter, and their various sub-classes

Yes, I've come across that one. Unfortunately all I get for seaplanes and amphibians is "No records found." Is it just me or...?

Meanwhile, I've learned that the Short Mayo Composite established a record flight for a seaplane of 6,045 miles (9,726.4 km) from Dundee in Scotland to Alexander Bay, in South Africa between 6 and 8 October 1938 (according to Wikipedia).
Also there are multiple record claims in both C-3 and C-2 classes for the Russian Beriev Be-200 but again I couldn't find any of them on the FAI website.
WhyMe

Postby Philthy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:45 am

Yeeessss….I may have posted too soon. The FAI website doesn't appear to show up all records, although the FAI is the official 'keeper'. :cry:
Aeradio Operator John G. 'Johnnie' Walker, Karumba Flying Boat Base, 1938.
Philthy

Postby schneiderman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Indeed, searching the FAI database for historic records is virtually impossible. Several years ago I worked out as trick to access the speed records but now they have changed the search function that doesn't look to be possible. Besides I'm not sure I can recall how I managed to do it.
However all is not lost as Flight published an annual review of World records most years, generally around the middle of February, for example 10th Feb 1927. I guess you all know their website, if not it is

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

Ciao
schneiderman

Postby WhyMe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Another related article I've just stumbled upon: http://www.patriotspoint.org/news_events/naval-aviator-sets-world-altitude-record-1927/ (with pictures :) )
WhyMe

Postby fastaviationdata » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 am

HI, try the aircraft information software here www.fastaviationdata.com it has most of the aircrafts photos and specs there.
fastaviationdata

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........