Sad News

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Re: Sad News

Postby seawings » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:26 am

Hi All,

Do they have any indication of exactly how much they would require to raise?

David (Legg) or anyone else; if you have direct contact with the committee, members, or the main fund-raising board, would you kindly advise them that I will put this Forum, the SEAWINGS website and myself at their disposal - completely free-of-charge - so that they might use it as a platform to reach thousands of flying boat enthusiasts around the World in order to raise their funds.

For instance, I would host a donation advert on the front page of SEAWINGS linked directly back to them and happily create a section within this Forum as well, so everyone can communicate and see what progress is being made. We might have just over 500 registered Forum members but within those ranks are a mass of senior, influential persons around the World with the wherewithal to make something happen.

I have no direct contact details - so if anyone can supply them, I would be pleased to communicate direct.

My thought for the day is this: If enthusiasts can keep a Vulcan flying, we should surely be able to fund a re-wing for a Catalina........
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby DavidLegg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:48 pm

I'll PM you ….
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby India42 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 am

I called my friend in New Plymouth today to enquire about progress. Ironically, I had trouble getting through because he was in the hangar, working on the Cat and the mobile signal there is not good.

He said they are making progress, but there is still a lot of work to do. We were discussing the re-fabricing of the trailing-edge wing sections. Out of idle curiosity, I calculated an approximate area. It's roughly the equivalent of recovering all eight wings of two Tiger Moths! :o This is a VERY big aeroplane -104' wingspan - 11' bigger than a 737 Classic.

seawings,

Thanks for your fantastic offer. I'm sure it would help a lot and as you say, the costs are miniscule compared to the costs of running the Vulcan. I'm pretty sure that all monies raised go towards the maintenance. No professional fund raisers or well-paid executives in this operation.
India42

Postby seawings » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I am happy to report that I have been contacted by the Restoration management team and I'm now awaiting the information I asked for so that I can add a donation link, an article and storyboard and gallery to the SEAWINGS website and also create a page on the Forum for them to communicate directly with all the members.

That will at least serve to put their restoration 'out there' to the most knowledgable bunch I know.........

I'm sure we can do something to assist them.

I'll report back when I have heard from them again.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby dogsbody » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Awesome plan, Bryan.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Some new photos

Postby India42 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:15 am

New photos from New Plymouth

In the second picture, you can only see aluminium-clad main wing section - about 9' of the chord. The missing fabric-covered trailing edge section adds another 6'.
India42

Previous

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........