Sad News

This is the place to ask for ideas such as finding a flying boat themed bar or club, share good places to find flying boat memorabilia, rate flying boat-related museums/movies/sims, and otherwise talk, well...... flying boats!! Obviously politics, swearing, rants, and trolling are right out. Anyone breaking this simple rule will be warned, then banned if repeated. Now, enjoy..!!

Sad News

Postby flyernzl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 am

I have to advise the following information on the Consolidated Vultee PBY-5A Catalina ZK-PBY ex-RCAF11054 CF-JCV Z-CAT owned and operated by The Catalina Company New Zealand:

" . . . the airframe, wing mostly, is pretty corroded. Unless a pretty serious cash injection is found it wont be flying again."

The aircraft is currently grounded at New Plymouth.

Fortunately I partook of a scenic in this aircraft back in 2007. Looks like that wont happen again.

flyernzl

Re: Sad News

Postby dogsbody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Bummer!
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby Bumble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:55 pm

That is bad news,I was hoping one day to get down to New Zealand again and a flight in that flying-boat was definitely on the to-do list :(
Bumble

Postby DavidLegg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I have been asked by Lawrence Acket of the Catalina Club of New Zealand (not a Seawings member) to post the following news release so that it is clear what the problem and planned resolution is. I have no connection with the Club other than being a UK member and having been fortunate enough to have flown in ZKL-PBY when it was based in East Africa as Z-CAT.

PRESS RELEASE:

This is to bring you up to date regarding New Zealand's unique Catalina flying boat - owned by the Catalina Club of New Zealand - ZK-PBY. Our aircraft is currently out of air while work required to remove corrosion in parts of the wing is being organised. Thankfully, the wing spars are intact. We have decided that re-fabricing the very large rear section of the wing will also be undertaken while the other work is being done. The Catalina Club of New Zealand is determined to return aircraft to full airworthiness! The expected cost of this is beyond our organisation's current resources and so we have decided that, fairly shortly, and once a program has been developed for the repair work, we will be launching a funding appeal.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Good News indeed.
Hope it all goes well.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby N63350JR » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am

Sad indeed that it had to come out of service, but congrats to them for for finding and identifying a potential problem before it became catastrophic.

Very pleased to know it will be repaired and airworthy again.

~JR
N63350JR

Postby flyernzl » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:08 am

I flew in and out of New Plymouth today.

Had to checkout the Catalina of course. The grass on the field was so wet with mid-winter rain that a flying boat may well have been an asset.

While I was there, the starboard engine on the Cat was briefly run up while the port engine was turned over but not fired up.

New Plymouth 5Aug2012

flyernzl

Postby Rajay » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:54 pm

BUMP!

Any more recent news or updates to this story?
Rajay

Postby flyernzl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 am

I have staged through NZNP a number of times in the last few weeks.
The Catalina is now hangared there - with the tail section sticking out of the door.
Presumably work is proceeding undercover, but I have not heard anything definite.

ZK-PBY at New Plymouth 23Nov2013

flyernzl

Postby India42 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:22 pm

flyernzl,

An update from the other side of the hangar door. I received this picture two months ago from a friend in NPL who is working on ZK-PBY:

Nearly two years ago, I was in NPL, when she was still outside and I was lucky enough to be able to sit in the right seat during an ant-det engine run. It maybe good for the engines, but there is a drawback :)

PS I found this forum, quite by accident, when looking for pictures of this Catalina. As a flying-boat enthusiast, it's hard to believe I've only just found it!
India42

Next

Return to The place to have a general chat and share stuff..........