Oshkosh AirVenture 2012

Use this section for pictures of various flying boats and amphibians taken at this type of meeting. Also for announcements of forthcoming gatherings and reports on shows that flying boats attended.

Oshkosh AirVenture 2012

Postby Cameraman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:57 am

Hi Guys n Gals,

well tomorrow (Wednesday 18th July) I'm taking a journey that I've been dreaming of for many, many years.

My first ever pilgrimage to Oshkosh.

I'll be 'on base' for the whole week of the show, apart from daily bus rides over the see the float guys n gals.

So are any of our members visiting the show this year?

Does anybody have any particular aircraft they like me to grab some images of whilst I'm there?

I know there's an Albatross and a Super Seawind on display, so it goes without saying I'll be clicking away at those rascals and anything else that gets it's belly wet!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Re: Oshkosh AirVenture 2012

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Best I can tell you Reggie, is to bring your most comfortable shoes and your favorite anti-inflammatory medication.
OSH is a pretty good sized airport and during the fly-in it's literally carpeted with airplanes.
You WILL walk - a LOT and at the end of the day you're going to hurt - a LOT.
There is a public transit system of sorts that you can take from one area to another that will cut down on some of the leg work.
You're likely to get a lot of sun and a sunburn, so pack the SPF 40+, but be prepared for rain too, it almost always rains at least one or two days during that week (though this year has had very little rain in that area, so you might get lucky there).
I've never been there, but I have pounded more airport ramps lugging a large camera bag shooting airshows than I care to count (or could even remember).
I'm very jealous of you you know.
Have a great time in aviation Mecca.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Cameraman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 pm

TonyR wrote:You lucky so-and-so Reggie! Any Beavers (with regs. if poss)

Bon Voyage!
T

Hi Tony,

don't worry, I'm on a permanent Beaver hunt, so I won't miss any.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby Cameraman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:50 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:Best I can tell you Reggie, is to bring your most comfortable shoes and your favorite anti-inflammatory medication.
OSH is a pretty good sized airport and during the fly-in it's literally carpeted with airplanes.
You WILL walk - a LOT and at the end of the day you're going to hurt - a LOT.
There is a public transit system of sorts that you can take from one area to another that will cut down on some of the leg work.
You're likely to get a lot of sun and a sunburn, so pack the SPF 40+, but be prepared for rain too, it almost always rains at least one or two days during that week (though this year has had very little rain in that area, so you might get lucky there).
I've never been there, but I have pounded more airport ramps lugging a large camera bag shooting airshows than I care to count (or could even remember).
I'm very jealous of you you know.
Have a great time in aviation Mecca.

Bill

Hi Bill,

shoes are already broken in.

SPF 50 is waiting for me, at my residence.

Daft, wide brimmed hat has been packed.

Light weight water proofs are also in the suitcase.

Anti-histamines are to hand.

Spare batteries, CF cards and re-chargers all packing and, with them being Canon, I don't even need to worry about the voltage changes, they accept everything from 100 to 250V!

Getting there before the show starts and staying there until after it's finished.

Can't wait now!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Sounds like you've got it all together then.
At least you don't have to lug around a ton of film canisters like I used to.
Digital cams have made that an option, not a demand.
I still have all my film cameras and once in a while I drag one out and run a roll through it just for grins.
(Mostly because I can't afford a new digital cam.)
Have a great time and if I see a seaplane or flying boat you don't get a shot of I'm going to send Guido the knuckleduster to pay you a visit. :o

Cheers mate,
Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby Cameraman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 am

Hi Bill,

cheers buddy!

I gave up film over ten years ago now and haven't looked back since.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby seawings » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Reggie,

Flying Boats & Amphibians..........PLEASE!!

That would make my month! :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Cameraman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 am

Mornin' Guys n Gals,

the little one's back!

What an awesome trip it was. I worked on the flightline, as a volunteer every day and met up with some great friends as a result. The scale of the event is hard to comprehend but if I say that on my first day, I walked from the parking end on the runway, to the opposite end (where the amphibs were to be based) and it was over three miles!

I've got loads of photo's to go through and will send them on to Bryan but will also post a few of my favourites here.

But if you think that Oshkosh is something else, then the only thing that's better is to take the regular bus service to the float plane base! Plenty of shade, as the temps reached 100f, a place to sit and dangle ones tootsies in the lake and aircraft coming and going. Quality food, cold drinks, vendors to hand, I must admit it was a difficult place to leave, so much so that I visited it 4 times during my stay!

I'm starting to save for a return visit in two years time, so Bryan had better start saving as well!!!!!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 am

Glad to hear you survived and had a good time, I'm jealous AND envious.
Can't wait to see the pic's.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby seawings » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:15 am

Welcome back FNB (!)

Can't wait to see the images! I'll set you up a DropBox account later.

Glad your'e back safetly,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Next

Return to Flying Boat Fly-In's, Airshow's, Meetings & Gatherings