Catalina to Reykjavik

Use this section for pictures of various flying boats and amphibians taken at this type of meeting. Also for announcements of forthcoming gatherings and reports on shows that flying boats attended.

Catalina to Reykjavik

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Just two days after returning from Biscarrosse in Catalina G-PBYA I was off again, this time to Reykjavik, Iceland! Plane Sailing's Catalina was invited to take part in Icelandair's 75th anniversary celebrations because its predecessor companies had operated the type in the passenger role, quite apart from the type's association with the area in WWII. The first leg was to Prestwick on May 23rd where we picked up three Icelandic TV cameramen and then we had an uneventful flight to Reykjavik the next day although the destination weather necessitated an ILS approach in gusty conditions. Sadly, we did not operate on the water whilst there but we did make three flights for veteran Catalina pilots and some Icelandair guests. We also flew a great display on the event day which included some formation with the Icelandair-liveried Dakota TF-NPK. We left Reykjavik for Oslo, a 7.5 hour trip with a max height of 11,500 ft and min temps of minus 11 degrees C inside. Luxury compared with wartime ops no doubt! One of the unique things about this great trip was the large number of locals who came on board for walkthroughs and said they had flown in Catalinas as passengers (many as kids) after the war - unique to Iceland!

En-route Prestwick - Reykjavik and passing over a front...

Landfall over Iceland and close to the 'naughty' volcano...

A magnificent flying scale model of Icelandic Catalina TF-RVG with the real thing in the background...

Baldur Sveinsson photo taken during our Reykjavik display slot...

Formation with the Dak'

Farewell Iceland, Oslo here we come...
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Catalina to Reykjavik

Postby dogsbody » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 am

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby Cameraman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 am

Morning David,

wonderful shots.

I really like the image with the model and 'YA in the back ground.

I wonder if Icelandic TV will produce a documentary about the flight?

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby DavidLegg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Reggie - in fact, they did produce a news item that showed on Icelandic TV a couple of nights after we arrived. It was 7:45mins duration and not too bad as these things go. I stood recording it on my compact digital camera standing on my hotel room bed so it's a bit shaky! It did create a lot of interest and I am sure it pulled in punters to Icelandair's subsequent free event.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby Cameraman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi David,

well done to all the crew.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby DavidLegg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

I should probably explain that the TV was a flat screen, wall mounted job hence the need to stand on my bed to be level with it :D
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby dogsbody » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 pm

DavidLegg wrote:I should probably explain that the TV was a flat screen, wall mounted job hence the need to stand on my bed to be level with it :D

Nice save!

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby BillG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:17 am

Beautiful photos. I'd love to fly in one of these. I managed to walk on the PBY that was at the National Warplane Museum in Genseo NY. My dad's WWII veteran friend Paul Bacon volunteered there, and gave us a personal tour. I remember the main cabin being quite a large space, for all those who were camping out in the South Pacific on these planes.

One of these days I'll try to put my scale version in the air. We have a lack of scale :D Fly-In's, in this area.
BillG

Return to Flying Boat Fly-In's, Airshow's, Meetings & Gatherings