Biscarrosse 2012

Use this section for pictures of various flying boats and amphibians taken at this type of meeting. Also for announcements of forthcoming gatherings and reports on shows that flying boats attended.

Biscarrosse 2012

Postby DavidLegg » Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Are any members planning to be there next week? G-PBYA is due to fly there on Wednesday and depart the following Monday (from Arcachon).
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Biscarrosse 2012

Postby Cameraman » Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi David,

with my usual sense of timing, I can't have the time off!

Oh well that's yet another proper show missed!

Hope PBYA and the crew have a cracking time.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby DavidLegg » Tue May 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Cameraman wrote:Hi David,

with my usual sense of timing, I can't have the time off!

Oh well that's yet another proper show missed!

Hope PBYA and the crew have a cracking time.

Regards

Reggie

We are back already! Got back yesterday. Did you try to book the wrong week off? :-) We did have a cracking time!
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby Cameraman » Wed May 23, 2012 6:45 am

Hi David,

my trusty Apple i-Mac has died, so I was only able to log on briefly yesterday. Yes I was aware of the correct dates but my working rota wouldn't allow me to take time off during the event, what a bugger eh? At least I've got Oshkosh to look forward too in July.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Well better late than never, a few shots from the recent Biscarrosse seaplane event. In some ways, it was a case of 'same old' although nothing wrong with that and it is great to see all the usual visitors! The French Catalina N9767 was a last-minute no-show. The weather was a bit challenging for the smaller seaplanes at times with some quite rough water conditions and one or two minor incidents. At one point, our Catalina G-PBYA was joined on the ramp at Hourtiquets by the Norwegian Beaver LN-NCC and the Sikorsky Osa's Ark. The Beaver came in short on fuel after being told it could not land at Parentis airfield during the display. Not sure why it did not go up the Biscarrosse ramp - anyway, they had to go off and get fuel in cans and top up that way. The Sikorsky may have found conditions too rough to go up the Biscarrosse slip after its display so it came to Hourtiquets instead. For those who do not know, Hourtiquets is the old trans-Atlantic flying boat base around the lake from Biscarrosse and now a resticted area on the edge of a military zone so pretty much off limits. We park our Catalina there overnight when attending the event and have to go to and fro netween there and Biscarrosse by boat! There are still signs of the old buildings there including the hotel and control buildings but the hangars are long gone....

I do not recall seeing this Portugese Cessna at the last event so very welcome in 2012. It was last seen being towed across the lake behind a launch...

G-PBYA at Hourtiquets in between sorties. We made 77 water landings during the time we were there...

Our new artwork on the bow, accurate for the original 44-33915...

That would look good on my study wall!...

Simply fantastic - Osa's Ark comes up the Hourtiquets ramp...

At one point, the Hourtiquiets ramp was almost crowded!

There is a terrific selection of event photos at the link below and if you scroll down you will see some photos of G-PBYA approaching its buoy on Lake Biscarrosse with yours truly (in the black flying suit) clutching his trusty boat hook at the ready!...

http://aeronantesspotters.forumactif.co ... iscarrosse
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby Cameraman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 am

Hi David,

thanks for posting, I've been looking forward to your images!

The new art work looks great.

I will get there one day!!!!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Return to Flying Boat Fly-In's, Airshow's, Meetings & Gatherings