Mechanics Bay, Auckland

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Mechanics Bay, Auckland

Postby Aotearoa » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 am

Thought I'd post some lovely old shots of TEAL's flying boat base at Mechanics Bay Auckland, taken between 1939 and 1959. All of these are from the Whites Aviation Collection at the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington NZ. Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152506730@N03/
Last edited by Aotearoa on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aotearoa

Re: Mechanics Bay, Auckland

Postby AlexNortonesq » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 pm

None of the pictures showed up on my visit to the forum.
AlexNortonesq

Postby dogsbody » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:20 pm

The forum's " Upload attachment " hasn't worked in years. You will need to use an image hosting sight, like Flickr, Village.Photo, etc.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby Aotearoa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 am

Thanks Chris - this was my first effort at uploading photos and it was a bit like 'trial and error'!! Anyway, all fixed now and a few lovely photos there for your enjoyment.
Cheers
Paul
Aotearoa

Postby dogsbody » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Nice! Thanks for posting, Paul.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi All,
I can see them perfectly on the Flikr page the link takes one to...

Beautiful shots......
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby longshot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Wasn't this B-314 plus Empire boats photo originally in colour? (This is using the BBCode from the 800pixel Flickr image via the Seawings URL button) [url][url=https://flic.kr/p/LsKyG6]Image[/url]Mechanics Bay AKL July 1940. TEAL's two S.30 Empire Class flying boats, ZK-AMA and ZK-AMC are present together with a Pan American triple tail Boeing 314 Clipper. Whites Aviation Image via Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington NZ. by Paul Sheehan, on Flickr[/url]
longshot

Postby Aotearoa » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 am

This one I have posted is the original from the Whites Aviation Collection in black and white. The coloured version, which I have also seen, seems to have been hand coloured by 'someone' years ago and from memory the colours were 'unusual' to say the least.
However, that said, both the B-314 and ZK-AMA had a 'brick' colour across the tops of the wings which was more evident in the 'coloured' version. I seem to recall that ZK-AMC (the other S.30 in the photo) did not have the paint on the top wing surfaces.
Aotearoa

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:27 am

There is a colour version of that photograph online, but I suspect it is a colourised black & white photograph, rather than an actual colour exposure. The photo has a “Whites Aviation” look about it and they employed a team of artists to hand-colour many of their images to sell as postcards, or as large prints for framing, so I suspect that is where the colour version came from, although I have no proof that is the explanation.

However, the colour version which is floating around onliine was originally posted to the Wings Over New Zealand Aviation Forum a few years ago by somebody who was making an inquiry about one of the buildings at Mechanics Bay. I presume the person who posted the photograph at that group is the same person who scanned the photograph.

I've actually got a copy of the book the photograph was published in. “Pan Ameircan's Pacific Pioneers — The Rest Of The Story — A Pictorial History of Pan Am's Pacific First Flights 1935-1946” by Jon E. Krupnick, published in 2000, is the book which contains the photograph on page 378. Although the photograph is un-dated, on page 377 is another photograph featuring the same flying-boats, but from a different angle on the shoreline instead of from the air, and it is dated July 18, 1940, which is the date on which Pan Am's Boeing 314 Clipper flying-boat NC18608 “American Clipper” (c/n.1993) arrived at Auckland and alighted on the Waitemata Harbour at the end of her “maiden voyage” from San Francisco operating the first scheduled mail flight to New Zealand. It was also the first scheduled flight to use the new Los Angeles flying-boat terminal at San Pedro Terminal Island while enroute from San Francisco. The flight was under the command of Captain Jack Tilton.

The book is a revised and considerably-enlarged edition of the earlier book, “Pan American's Pacific Pioneers — A Pictoral History of Pan Am's Pacific First Flights 1935-1946” by the same author, published in 1997. I purchased my copies of both books directly from the author as they were released. After receiving my copy of the revised edition, I discovered that aerial photograph of Mechanics Bay in the book, and communicated with the author by fax (he had helpfully published his fax number in the revised edition) and I asked him about the source of the [colourised] photograph of Mechanics Bay. He replied that he had purchased a box of first-flight covers and photographs at a buy, sell & swap meet for first-flight cover collectors, and that when he eventually examined the contents of the box a couple of years later, he discovered the photograph, but that there was no information accompanying it as to its source. However, I'd definitely go for it being a Whites Aviation photograph.

The version of the photograph posted to Wings Over New Zealand isn't actually the full photograph, nor is the version of the photo posted to this thread. I have often considered scanning the photograph directly from the book myself, but it is a very large and heavy book and I'm a bit worried about damaging the binding if I try to force it open completely flat to get that full scan. Only a very limited number of the revised edition of the book was published and they now change hands for huge prices, hence my reluctance to risk damaging the book if I attempt to obtain a scan of the entire image.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby dogsbody » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 pm

I can understand your reluctance to scanning the picture. A couple years ago, I was scanning a older soft-cover book for a friend in the UK. The booklet was published in 1975. About a third of the way through, it fell apart. The spine glue had gone all stiff just crumbled into small flakes. It did make scanning the book a lot easier, though. Fortunately, earlier this year, I found a hard-cover version online and bought that.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old