RAAF Rathmines 75th Anniversary Celebrations

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

RAAF Rathmines 75th Anniversary Celebrations

Postby Pegasus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 am

:D, Hello all,
I haven't been around for quite a while. (Forgot my password). This weekend just gone saw the 75th anniversary of the opening of RAAF Station Rathmines on the western side of Lake Macquarie near Newcastle NSW. A huge multi deck cake was baked by someone for the occasion but there were so few members of the public in attendance that most of it was taken home by various organizers. It was really a poor showing but with Australia now preparing to join the coalition to fight ISIS I guess that might be expected. I've not uploaded my photos to my computer as yet but I'll do that over the next little while,say over the next week some time. We had a visit from a Navy Bell 429 helicopter with 3 young officers, an analogue of the Andrews Sisters, called the Sassy Sisters from Melbourne and the Newcastle Army Band both of whom entertained us throughout the day. In the community hall were various displays of what Rathmines used to be like from 1939 to 1961 when the base unfortunately closed. Also one of the RAAF Roulettes aerobatic display team did a solo display over the former base.

On Saturday there was to be a march past of Air Force and Air League cadets but with these young people having uniforms so similar to military ones this had to be cancelled in the prevailing environment. I am an Air League officer and there were months of planning went into this march only to have it cancelled at the last minute by the powers that be in both organizations. There was also a beautiful replica of a 1936 Chriscraft speedboat built by a local Rathmines man. It has never been in the water nor the engine started. There were a few older cars, a couple of T-buckets and a few old motor bikes plus a trike and that was pretty much it for this special celebration.

Next month is the Catalina Festival which is always a big show. This year we may not have a Catalina land on Kilaben Bay as they have in years past because of the difficulty of getting the salt out of the hull. These boats are like the rest of us, not getting any younger.

Cheers,
Ross.
Pegasus

Re: RAAF Rathmines 75th Anniversary Celebrations

Postby Pegasus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:55 pm

:D, I'm in the process of having a new computer built for me so when I get it all up to speed (hopefully in a week or so's time) I'll post some pics of both the 75th Anniversary celebrations and the Catalina Festival for 2014. I don't want to upload any more pics to my old computer because the poor old dear is getting cranky and I don't want to lose the lot.

Cheers,
Ross.
Pegasus

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old