RAF Wig Bay

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

RAF Wig Bay

Postby WigBayWings » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi, I'm currently working on a project for our local community council where we are establishing a circular walk around part of the old RAF Wig Bay. I would be very grateful if anyone has any old photos ,history,stories or artefacts that might help with stage 2 of the project which will take the form of interpretation information of what remains and what these remains used to be.The walk is around the perimeter of the old hardstandings that are often seen in aerial photos of the base Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt
WigBayWings

Re: RAF Wig Bay

Postby Pondskater » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Welcome,

I'll gladly help a project like that - I'll drop you a line and see if I've got anything new for you. I've only got 4 or 5 photos of Wig Bay in my collection but if I dig through my old notes I might have some useful research info for you as well.

All the best

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby sunderlandnut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:38 am

Hello Matt

You might find this thread on another forum of interest
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91858

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby WigBayWings » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks gents,
This will be a long term multi-faceted project and I am fighting the flying boat corner for a share of the funding along with the ornithologists,anglers and dogwalkers who are also looking to have their parts of the project okayed. I think it's too an important part of our area's history to be omitted.
Cheers Matt
WigBayWings

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old