Rose Bay - a sensible memorial

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Rose Bay - a sensible memorial

Postby crship » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 pm

In Sydney for the first time in 12 months. Went down to Rose Bay for a spot of nostalgia.
Pleased to see that someone has erected a sensible memorial to the old base by reproducing the "signpost" from the 30's. So much better than the lump of sandstone and plaque that has been there for many years. Enclosed are a few shots plus an archive from the Qantas website showing what it was like back in the day. Also uploaded some shots of VH BRC during the pre flight tests prior to her flight to the Virgin Islands. Jim may remember the day that the port inner seized and needed to be replaced. In fact I think that may be you manhandling the propeller in one of the shots?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39455265@N06/
crship

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old