Vanuatu visit - Segond Channel and other seaplane bases

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Re: Vanuatu visit - Segond Channel and other seaplane bases

Postby flyernzl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:03 am

I have stumbled across a WW2 US military documentary on night-time Catalina ops.

Looking carefully at the background in the film, I'd bet that the US base shown is at Segond Channel.

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.12990
Last edited by flyernzl on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyernzl

Postby sunderlandnut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 am

Fantastic! Wonderful film, thanks for posting.

Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby flyernzl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 am

I am saddened by the reports coming in of the devastation caused to Vanuatu by tropical cyclone Pam just a few days ago.

It would seem that Efate has been very badly damaged, but I think Bauer field is still operational.
The southern island of Tanna has been comprehensivly flattened. Estimates of 70 to 80% of the buildings there being destroyed.

I have not seen any reports of damage to Santo. Being quite a bit further north it may have escaped the worst.

I would assume that any aircraft that failed to escape would have been destroyed, as hangerage in Efate is extremely limited, and non-existant elsewhere.

My thoughts go out to the people there.
flyernzl

Previous

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old