Lord Howe Island

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Re: Lord Howe Island

Postby flyernzl » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:17 pm

As mentioned above, Chichester departed from New Zealand on his Trans-Tasman flight via Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island from the Air Force Base located at Hobsonville, Auckland.
He spent a short time at Hobsonville while his DH60 Moth was equipped with the floats that were on loan from the military.

At that time, The NZ de Havilland agent, Douglas Mill, had a large house at one side of the airfield and a visitors cottage located in his garden. Chichester stayed in that cottage.

The airfield was closed in 2002 and is now being redeveloped for housing. however, both Mill House and the cottage are still in existence.
I was able to visit the site yesterday, and both buildings appear to be in good condition.
The House is currently being operated as a child playcentre. The Cottage show no signs of any current use.
There seems to be no on-site indication of their history.

flyernzl

Previous

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old