Flying boats on Loch Ness

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Flying boats on Loch Ness

Postby DavidLegg » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:53 pm

To the best of my knowledge, no flying boats have ever been based at Loch Ness but can anyone tell me of any flying boat landings on the loch (apart from last October's operations by the Plane Sailing Air Displays Ltd Catalina). I suppose it is possible that flying boats might have landed on the loch whilst operating out of Invergordon/Alness for example although have no proof of that. Were there any inter-war landings?

Hope to hear.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Flying boats on Loch Ness

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:24 pm

My question above did not bring forth any replies from group members but I did manage to get some data from other sources so, in the interest of info' sharing, here is what I found out...

15Jul41 - Sunderland 'Q' (probably W3977) of 201 Sqn made a precautionary or forced landing on Loch Ness at 16:00 whilst en route Stranraer to Invergordon then flew on to the latter arriving at 18:25
12Nov41 - Lerwick 'T' of 4 OTU (serial?) came down on Loch Ness due to poor weather en route Oban to Invergordon but continued on later
04Sep42 - Stranraer K7295 landed on Loch Ness (why?) and was wrecked after bouncing. It either drifted onshore or was recovered to the shore but never flew again.
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old