Lord Howe Island

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

Lord Howe Island

Postby flyernzl » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:09 pm

As no doubt you are well aware, Lord Howe Island, off the eastern coast of Australia, was the terminal for the last operational scheduled flying boat service in the world.
This service closed in 1974, when an airstrip was opened on the island.
These days, the air service is operated by QantasLink from Sydney using Dash-8 turboprops.

However, the seaplane history of the island dates back to 1931 when Francis Chichester flew from New Zealand to Australia in his Gypsy Moth floatplane ZK-AKK via Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island.
His trip was delayed by an overnight storm at Lord Howe, which caused the moored Moth to overturn.
He dragged the damaged machine ashore, dismantled it, ordered the necessary repair parts from DH Australia, rebuilt the Moth on the Island and then resumed his trip.

I depart tomorrow for Sydney, and then on to Lord Howe.
Have disinterred my copy of Chichesters book 'Seaplane Solo' and will take that with me as a guide to the relics still extant on the Island.

There is also apparently some remnants remaining of the RAAF Catalina A24-381 which crashed into a hill on the island back in 1948.

Looking forward to an interesting trip.

flyernzl

Re: Lord Howe Island

Postby dogsbody » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Enjoy your trip. Take lots of pictures!

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby AlexNortonesq » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 am

Have a great trip. Looking forward to your posts about the trip and the pictures you take as you follow Chichester's travels.

Alex
AlexNortonesq

Postby seawings » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi Peter,

Oh, you lucky chap..!

Been looking at your pictures on Facebook, what a lovely part of this world..!

Looking forward to hearing all about it on your return,

Cheers,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old